Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Label is nowhere close to being original, and he knows it.

Nice gun, but almost $3K, I don't think so (however a couple of years from now it will look like a good deal)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Now I hope the OP made his title in jest.I am NOT an expert but it is easy to see fake "Colt Box Man" labels when I see them and I would never believe that any Colt Forum guys would be up to this nonsense. Even if you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GUN OR LABELS the odds of being struck like lightning are better than someone selling this with a "UNTURNED DIAMONDBACK" and his other offerings. Dad always said if it looks too good to be true it is....Nuff said......Mike.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Now I hope the OP made his title in jest.I am NOT an expert but it is easy to see fake "Colt Box Man" labels when I see them and I would never believe that any Colt Forum guys would be up to this nonsense. Even if you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GUN OR LABELS the odds of being struck like lightning are better than someone selling this with a "UNTURNED DIAMONDBACK" and his other offerings. Dad always said if it looks too good to be true it is....Nuff said......Mike.
I think the OP meant he hopes nobody here is the bidder.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have no dog in this hunt, but what is the issue if it is a forum member? The seller stated he was not sure if the box is original or not. As for price, what a person prices his guns at is his business. Priced to high do not bid.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
The problem is the seller most likely knows that it is not the original box, but seems to leave it ambigious so as to snag someone who doesn't know about such things. Why not just be honest and sell something for what it is? Is a couple bucks really worth selling our sould over?

·
Registered
382 Posts
When questioned about the authenticity of something the standard answer is "I'm not sure". The seller here just answered the question before it was asked.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I could not tell an original box from a fake, or date any handgun box Colt or other wise. I am not a collector of these items, in fact I am not a collector at all. I love guns and blades period. So, with that said if I purchased a gun from someone, and it came in a box. I would not question the box, as I am only interested in the gun. I would pay a price that I was comfortable with for the gun. If I decided to sell that gun and box to someone else. I could post that gun and someone might say "hey that box is fake, or the wrong year for that gun". Would that make me some kind of "scam" artist? I do not believe it would. It would make me a guy trying to sell a gun. When I shop for guns or edged weapons, if I see something priced to high or the item not looking right. I simply pass the item by, and go on to the next. If this seller knows the box is wrong then he should state that. But, his "i am not sure" remark is enough I feel to put doubt in someone's mind if the correct box is important to the buyer. Peace

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
A lot of replies that it is fake but not one person is able to (or cares to) say why. No, it does not help the fakers to say what is wrong with it. Like fake $100 bills it only helps for the FBI to educate the public.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Yes it DOES HELP the fakers to point out what is wrong with it.The infamous "Fake Colt Box Man" frequents the Colt forum.It was suggested that there be a "sticky" on how to tell the fakes but it is for this very reason it is not done.Why help them inprove the bogus boxes?.
A lot of replies that it is fake but not one person is able to (or cares to) say why. No, it does not help the fakers to say what is wrong with it. Like fake $100 bills it only helps for the FBI to educate the public.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts