Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Sports Fans, ... here's one ought to get the blood pumping, as it did around my kitchen table. See what some others have to say: one guy says, "Yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to." (Referring to Colts in particular and double action revolvers in general.) Another says, "Yeah, the new stuff is just junk." Another says, "Well, all handguns are obsolete. They have been since the M1 carbine and M3 grease gun. Maybe for police - certainly no military use. And then, since the new Glock's, what's the point? As far as wasting money on collections, there are only TWO handguns; the SAA and the 1911. 2X revolvers? Never were needed, never were any good. First substitutes for SAA's and then substitutes for 1911's, that's all. Own two pistols and you've got it all." So, my new friends - what sayest ye? (As I write this, my new copy of, "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting," rests close at hand!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
To begin with hand guns and in particular revolvers are not obsolete, in fact the are probably more popular then they ever were IMHO. I only have one problem, well maybe two, when it comes to the venerable SAA and the 1911, you have to practice a lot with them cause if it's say a nightstand primary or secondary go to piece, when the S hits the fan, with the SAA "did you hand cock it?" or just start pulling the trigger like a DA revo, in which case it won't go bang. In the same situation with the 1911, is one in the chamber, is it cocked, is it locked?, what no DA? As I get older, these little things haunt me ever so slightly, so for me give me good old fashion DA revolver, so when things go bump in the night, I don't have to think too much.
These are just a couple thoughts and is solely my opinion, and I am sure others will disagree.
I know it's corny but remember the old saw "Beware of the man with only one gun (in his hand) he probably knows how to use it. The SAA and the 1911 don't fill that bill for me anymore. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-19-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Sir. I quite agree. One of my guests doesn't, though. Once, during my policeman days in the early 70's, I was told,"we use .38's because they're defensive weapons, designed to disable a suspect - not necessarily kill him and we're more worried about a single suspect or two in a warehouse with a tire iron or a drunken husband with a butcher knife than a banzai attack." <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
To begin with hand guns and in particular revolvers are not obsolete, in fact the are probably more popular then they ever were IMHO. I only have one problem, well maybe two, when it comes to the venerable SAA and the 1911, you have to practice a lot with them cause if it's say a nightstand primary or secondary go to piece, when the S hits the fan, with the SAA "did you hand cock it?" or just start pulling the trigger like a DA revo, in which case it won't go bang. In the same situation with the 1911, is one in the chamber, is it cocked, is it locked?, what no DA? As I get older, these little things haunt me ever so slightly, so for me give me good old fashion DA revolver, so when things go bump in the night, I don't have to think too much.
These are just a couple thoughts and is solely my opinion, and I am sure others will disagree.
I know it's corny but remember the old saw "Beware of the man with only one gun (in his hand) he probably knows how to use it. The SAA and the 1911 don't fill that bill for me anymore. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-19-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
26 Posts
DA Revolvers obsolete?

Heresy!

1) Pull gun
2) Stroke trigger; gun goes bang.
3) Gun don't go bang, stroke trigger again.
4) Repeat #2 as necessary to achieve desired results.

------------------
Eternal vigilance is the price.....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah-ha! K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Shooters!) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hebejebe:
DA Revolvers obsolete?

Heresy!

1) Pull gun
2) Stroke trigger; gun goes bang.
3) Gun don't go bang, stroke trigger again.
4) Repeat #2 as necessary to achieve desired results.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep.

When my pink patootie is puckered and I have to go to step #1, I don't want for there to be too many other 'steps' to resolution.

But I'm crazy.
But still around!

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
OK, Sports Fans, ... here's one ought to get the blood pumping, as it did around my kitchen table. See what some others have to say: one guy says, "Yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to." (Referring to Colts in particular and double action revolvers in general.) Another says, "Yeah, the new stuff is just junk." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd feel better about this argument if specifics were offered. Now it appears by the numerous complaints that S&W has suffered greatly since its heyday, but no one seems to be able to say exactly what the failing of a new Colt revolver is. Just that "the new ones are junk".

Perhaps the bluing is not what they remember and I can see that since I understand that due to environmental concerns/rules the old processes are not used on a mass production scale which can lead to a less durable and fine finish. FWIW I have no idea of Colt's current process.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold
Another says, "Well, all handguns are obsolete. They have been since the M1 carbine and M3 grease gun. Maybe for police - certainly no military use.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even know what to say about this. I might even contend that the reverse is true with an experienced shooter. Since the M1 carbine's job was to be easier to keep around for rear echelon troops than a full size M1 you could say that a sidearm is even easier to keep handy than the carbine. Far better to have a weapon on you than the weapon in the Jeep or on the wharehouse/barracks wall when the SHTF. The M3's job is so different than that of a sidearm it shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold
As far as wasting money on collections, there are only TWO handguns; the SAA and the 1911.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously not a collector then. The collector lives to have as many variations of his chosen item as possible. There are sufficient differences amongst the different brands as to make for a rousing compare/contrast session.

2X revolvers? Never were needed, never were any good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a SAA snob from that quote.

I'm with diamonback68, the simplest manual of arms is best for SD.

Just the other night I was awoken from a sound sleep at about 3am by strange noises outside and I had enough trouble trying to remember exactly how to get the gun in hand from the nightstand in the dark, let alone trying to remember Condition 1 or 3, etc.

This would be much simplified by a DA revolver. So much so that one is on my immediate To-Buy list since I absolutely refuse to have an ugly-as-sin Glock around

This has also caused a re-evaluation of preferred SD cartridge. I generally prefer the 357 with the 45ACP coming in a close second and I like the 1911. So I have a 10mm which blends two out of three. Fun to shoot at the range but in a SD situation
I feel overpenetration would be a significant issue. As muzzy-headed as I was that night I know there's no way I could track downrange problems so I feel that cutting the possibility of overpenetration as much as possible would be best. Some big, fat, 'n slow flying ashtrays would seem to fit the bill.

So I think I'm after a 45ACP revolver, although the 45 Colt looks close ballistically. Unfortunately I'm unaware of any DA Colt in such a chambering other than a New Service (and using a near-100 year old gun for SD just doesn't feel right) so it looks like I'll end up with a Smith 25-2.

Anyway now I'm rambling...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Parker Dean
First of all, welcome to the forum, we need more input like yours, keep coming back buddy.
For me, I used to have Sig Sauer P245 for when things go bump in the night, well as of yesterday it has been replace by a beautiful S&W 25-2 because I want the same ammo and stopping power I was familiar with in the auto. Now I feel a little more secure when I may be force to make that "fatal" decision at 2:32 1/2 AM.
It is a darn shame that Colt hasn't kept up with Smith on the customer preference evolution. Stop hoping the Government will send money your way on the possible next contract and listen to the populus who has money to spend.(that was for Colt) People will buy Colts, but you gotta make first.
Dick

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
Parker Dean
First of all, welcome to the forum, we need more input like yours, keep coming back buddy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, I've been lurking for a while. I don't post much in the Revolver forum as I don't really have any first hand info. It's only recently that revolvers have captured my interest and I found this forum as part of my research. Surprisingly little online about Colt revolvers, and what there is is usually authored by dfariswheel, whom we should thank profusely for his participation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68
Stop hoping the Government will send money your way on the possible next contract and listen to the populus who has money to spend.(that was for Colt) People will buy Colts, but you gotta make first.
Dick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I understand, the commercial side is selling everything they can make right now so there's not much pressure to change. This in itself will eventually change if the desire to gain market share begins to come to the fore.

Looked at from that standpoint I guess you could say that we're lucky to have new production Pythons and Anacondas. Personal opinion is that the popularity of the Smith 625's was not expected by anyone, even Smith although they are capitalizing well on it by all appearances.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who needs an expensive and overated S&W?

Clockwise from 9, Taurus M450, M445, and M455;
45LC, 44Spcl, and 45ACP respectively.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts