Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they're not for everybody. And even then it's all subjective. Like any artwork, I suppose.
A poor job absolutely ruins a gun.
But with the right artist and a good design, well....that just does it for me!

Here's one of mine. Started out (to me) as a neglected stray.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well from what I can tell the engraving there is anything but a poor job. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
Why what? Oh you must mean, "Why didn't I ever think of getting one of my Colts engraved in such a pretty manner?" I'm sure you were not trying to belittle a man's subjective artwork as he said in the begining of his post.

Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here's an image of my 1896-production New Army (or New Navy - not yet lettered) in .41LC with pearl grips and gold washed cylinder. Probably a New York engraved gun. Nearly all the fire blue has dulled on or disappeared from the hammer spine and trigger; none remains on the screws.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No Dave,
I wasn't trying to belittle the man's gun or ever thinking of having one of my guns engraved. I'm a shooter
and collector of shooting handguns, not Art Work.

I was asking the question because I thought that maybe, just maybe it was done as an award gun of some
type and was wondering who it was presented to or why it was engraved ?. Not trying to be a Smart A$$,
just asked the question thinking it was something special for someone special.
IP

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That is beautiful! I have a Colt Premier Government Model that has some scrollwork on the slide and a pair of WWII Commemorative .45s that have some leaves, etc. That SAA is simply gorgeous!

The only gun I commissioned was a S&W 44 Magnum. I'm thinking about getting a Diamondback done but I hate take it out of circulation it's in such nice condition.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys!
It wasn't for any special circumstance. I just like engraved guns. Besides, those engravers have bills too and need the work! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I bought it pretty cheap cause it was a shooter and had some wear and a couple dings. Then sent it to the Custom Shop for engraving.
I have a couple others. I'm just addicted!

Zulu6, that's a beautiful old piece!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts