Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your viewing pleasure and comment is my civilian SAA from 1876. I have a passion for early civilian guns and while this one misses early by some 4,000 SN's, I couldn't pass it up when I found it several years ago. It wasn't expensive, but I thought it was pretty original and was worn through honest use. It was covered with a lot of crud but cleaned up pretty good.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
...while this one misses early by some 4,000 SN's...
At 24222, I'm guessing your definition of early is under 20000. For me, I've always liked the italic barrel addresses, so I would define early as under about 22000, when italic barrel addresses were discontinued.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to agree with Rick Bowles. Good job on the pictures. I'd love to hear some of the back story about how you found the gun and any history regarding it if you know anything. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
For your viewing pleasure and comment is my civilian SAA from 1876. I have a passion for early civilian guns and while this one misses early by some 4,000 SN's, I couldn't pass it up when I found it several years ago. It wasn't expensive.....
"...it wasn't expensive...". It sure LOOKS expensive to me!

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright guys. I found this one about 10 years ago. After being a low level Smith collector for about 30 years I thought it time to collect some Antique Colt SAA's. At the time I owned one SAA , an early 2nd Gen I had scored a show as an after thought when I couldn't find a Smith I wanted. I had always admired these Colts but they always cost more than Smiths. I picked up a number of Smiths at the old Pomona Gun Shows and was always tempted by the many lnib 2nd gens in stagecoach boxes but they were $600-$700! Outrageous. I could get a good Pre-War smith for that. Thats more than I paid for my first Reg. Magnum.

Any way, speed forward 15 or so years and even I saw that these SAA's had a future and after kicking myself numerous times I decided to get into the Colts. I started by befriending an experienced dealer and getting educated on the Antique SAA's. From there I stared looking for acquisitions. Knowing enough that I could easily get into trouble if I wasn't careful.

Which brings me to the OP gun. I located this gun on a small dealer's web sight. It was one of two, both of which I was told were bon consignment from the long time owner who would not budge on the price. I bought the other first. It was a lettered 50% or so 1897, 5 1/5" barreled 44-40 shipped to Montgomery Ward in Chicago. I paid in the high $3K for it and was pleased it. After several weeks of looking at other possibilities, I went back to the gun which hadn't sold.

I paid a little less for this one. It was represented as original and unmessed with except for the replaced ejector head and old "x" marked on the cylinder to mark the empty chamber. The ejector head change looks old as the petina on it and the rest of the gun match. It came with a 1977 letter stating it was shipped as one of a 50 gun order on March 31, 1876 to Spies, Kissam & Co. in New York.

I realize "not expensive" is relative and often misleading. To many, if not most, $3K - $4k for an antique is expensive and I apologize for my insensitivity. I'm not a PC guy, but it is not my intent to brag about my financial ability or belittle that of others on this Forum.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No need to apologize at all...I certainly did not take any offense at what you said. I just REALLY like your SAA. I can assure you that gun sitting on a dealers table here in NE Ohio would have a MUCH higher price tag on it! Good job on you deciding to learn what you can before you bought....something I should have done before I bought my first Colt percussion all those years ago.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Alright guys. I found this one about 10 years ago. After being a low level Smith collector for about 30 years I thought it time to collect some Antique Colt SAA's. At the time I owned one SAA , an early 2nd Gen I had scored a show as an after thought when I couldn't find a Smith I wanted. I had always admired these Colts but they always cost more than Smiths. I picked up a number of Smiths at the old Pomona Gun Shows and was always tempted by the many lnib 2nd gens in stagecoach boxes but they were $600-$700! Outrageous. I could get a good Pre-War smith for that. Thats more than I paid for my first Reg. Magnum.

Any way, speed forward 15 or so years and even I saw that these SAA's had a future and after kicking myself numerous times I decided to get into the Colts. I started by befriending an experienced dealer and getting educated on the Antique SAA's. From there I stared looking for acquisitions. Knowing enough that I could easily get into trouble if I wasn't careful.

Which brings me to the OP gun. I located this gun on a small dealer's web sight. It was one of two, both of which I was told were bon consignment from the long time owner who would not budge on the price. I bought the other first. It was a lettered 50% or so 1897, 5 1/5" barreled 44-40 shipped to Montgomery Ward in Chicago. I paid in the high $3K for it and was pleased it. After several weeks of looking at other possibilities, I went back to the gun which hadn't sold.

I paid a little less for this one. It was represented as original and unmessed with except for the replaced ejector head and old "x" marked on the cylinder to mark the empty chamber. The ejector head change looks old as the petina on it and the rest of the gun match. It came with a 1977 letter stating it was shipped as one of a 50 gun order on March 31, 1876 to Spies, Kissam & Co. in New York.

I realize "not expensive" is relative and often misleading. To many, if not most, $3K - $4k for an antique is expensive and I apologize for my insensitivity. I'm not a PC guy, but it is not my intent to brag about my financial ability or belittle that of others on this Forum.
Well done, MrRush!

Your candidness is appreciated!

I like this Colt and think it is good value for what you have into it.

I am surprised you have relatively little time in with regards to Colt SAA revolvers. You have a good eye and seem quite knowledgeable on this forum, so you learned a lot fast.

It is interesting you started out with Smith & Wesson revolvers and gravitated towards Colts. For me, it was the other way around. I ended up saving and saving just to buy the occasional Colt. I appreciated the workmanship in Smith & Wesson revolvers, and for me, it was an option to pick up some very nice stuff when I needed that gun fix and didn't wish to wait so long. Even today, you can pick up a Triple Lock 85% finish left, or better, for less than a Colt SAA revolver from the same era (1907-1917) costs with virtually little original finish left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts