Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have more then a few "copies" of guns chambered either in .22 LR or a caliber smaller then the original caliber; i.e. a .22 caliber AR Clone, a long barreled Luger copy in .22 LR, etc. Here are a few of mine:

Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire

Sig 522

Professional Ordnance Carbon Fiber AR-22

Galil Clone in .22 LR; surprisingly imported from Italy by "Mitchell Arms"

Erma produced .22 LR "Luger"

S&W M&P AR-22

Iver Johnson .22 LR M-1 Carbine

Stoeger Luger .22 LR

Italian made .22 LR also imported by Mitchell Arms

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Here's my two licensed copies by Walther of the M4 and M16. The M16 version has yet to be fired but the M4 SpecOps model works quite nicely.

1.JPG

I used to own one of the Italian rimfire copies of the AR-15 back in the late 1970s or early '80s. It was accurate enough but wasn't particularly reliable. It would randomly fail to eject or would eject and the next round wouldn't feed properly.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Think there's a .22 Sturmgewehr copy out there also. Cheaper than a 20K real STG!
I have several of the .22 LR clones myself. I am not a big .22 LR shooter, but thought the full size clones actually look nice. I have an M4 Carbine Upper from Spikes Tactical for my real M4 carbine lower, the Walther, and the StG44 which is a hoot to shoot. Here is a picture of the StG44.

Stg-44 Right Side.jpg

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Those look like some fun guns to shoot on the cheap and not worry about picking up the brass to reload. What I'd like to have in .22LR caliber is a fully functioning scale model artillery piece, maybe a 1:16-1:12 scale French 75mm gun.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
They are fun to shoot. I can't think of ever seeing a scale model of a real artillery piece outside of plastic model kits. You can always pick up a carbide cannon...make lots of noise!

If someone made a working, scale model of a US 105mm gun, a buddy would likely be all over it...he was in the field artillery in Vietnam.

Would such a thing as a .22 copy of a real artillery piece be considered a handgun or a rifle? It would definitely be single shot but the short barrel would take it out of the rifle category but its overall length might be too short to pass NFA specs. Maybe that's why we don't see them.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I have several of the .22 LR clones myself. I am not a big .22 LR shooter, but thought the full size clones actually look nice. I have an M4 Carbine Upper from Spikes Tactical for my real M4 carbine lower, the Walther, and the StG44 which is a hoot to shoot. Here is a picture of the StG44.

View attachment 415609
You beat me to it. I'm glad I scrolled down and saw your post. I was going to mention this rifle and offer to take a few pictures of mine. One of the things I really like about it is that it weighs about 11lbs., which is what the original 7.92x33 rifles weigh.
Mine is very accurate and a really fun shooter. It's the only rim fire rifle I own. GSI recommends using only high and hyper velocity 22lr with it.

The only other 22lr I have is a 1953 Beretta Mod 948 pistol. Strictly standard 22lr velocity ammo only in that old gun.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

View attachment 415609
Same outfit is doing an MP 40 in 22

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Anyone make a Colt hammerless in 22lr?

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
A .22LR 1903 Hammerless comes to mind...

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You beat me to it. I'm glad I scrolled down and saw your post. I was going to mention this rifle and offer to take a few pictures of mine. One of the things I really like about it is that it weighs about 11lbs., which is what the original 7.92x33 rifles weigh.
Mine is very accurate and a really fun shooter. It's the only rim fire rifle I own. GSI recommends using only high and hyper velocity 22lr with it.

The only other 22lr I have is a 1953 Beretta Mod 948 pistol. Strictly standard 22lr velocity ammo only in that old gun.
"Malysh", did you get the wood box with yours? Although the box is pine, they did a great job making them. After I got the rifle, I bought spare magazines, magazine pouch and the sling shown in my picture. When you haul the wood box to the range and take it out, the "looks' you get are awesome! Then a few guys come up and ask what that is. I tell them about the StG 44 and then say it is a clone in .22 LR, LOL! They are still amazed at it. Shooting it fun and mine fires pretty well with few jams. I only use CCC Mini Mag .22 in mine and they wrok well. Below is a couple of pictures of the rifle in the box and just the box.

pix786160660.jpg DSC05512.jpg

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Yes, my 22lr "StG44" came with the wood transit chest.
I don't keep it stored in the box, though. The rifle is assembled and in the safe.
Like you, I also bought reproduction magazine pouches, a repro sling, and 4 mags. I didn't buy 6 mags which would fill the pouches. I should probably buy 2 more.
Mine has never jammed.
2 years ago I thought about buying an original transferrable StG 44, but I decided I really didn't want to spend 20K on a firearm. I have shot my share of select fire weapons so I've had the experiences before.

I also thought about ordering one of those HMG rifles in 7.62x39 instead of 7.92x33 but I decided to pass. They announced that rifle 2 years ago and were taking $1800 deposits, but still no rifles on the market yet. I've seen that happen with new firearms companies too many times. I'm not tying up that kind of money for a rifle that may never hit the market.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Not a commercially made "clone", just a one off special. My Colt M1877 Lightning in .22 rf! Modified by George Matthews in 1953, barrel and cylinder lined to .22 cal, grip redesigned to SAA style with ivory stocks. When I take this one to the range, everyone wants to handle and shoot it!

Lightning+22+11401176694.jpg Lightning+22+41401176738.jpg Lightning+22+61401176756.jpg

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Here's my two licensed copies by Walther of the M4 and M16. The M16 version has yet to be fired but the M4 SpecOps model works quite nicely.

View attachment 415321

I used to own one of the Italian rimfire copies of the AR-15 back in the late 1970s or early '80s. It was accurate enough but wasn't particularly reliable. It would randomly fail to eject or would eject and the next round wouldn't feed properly.
I saw a used one of these yesterday at a LGS. Are these still being made by Walther? Colt's website directs me to Walther, which has no mention of these, so I can't tell what's a good price or not.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
This .22 Police Positive Target is a smaller clone of the New Service --

As were the rest of Colt's DA revolvers of the period. Nothing new with Colt, since the Dragoon, the '49 Pocket & '51 Navy were mini-clones & the prime percussion line was of the same functional design ----->

1 - 20 of 27 Posts