Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this isn't the right section (feel free to move this) or if this has been answered before (could't find it in a search). Anyway, if you buy a gun (I guess specifically a revolver say) from one of the sites like GB or GA (or even the forum), what kind of container are the guns shipped in? Is it just any box of the sender's choosing? Or is it one of those blue containers? Or something else?

TIA

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I have had some sellers ship a Hand Gun in a small 'hard case', ( blue or black ) with that in a sturdy Cardboard Box with lots of padding or bubble wrap inside.

That is a First Class way to do it.

Another nice method, is, in a 'Gun Rug', in a Box, with lots of padding/bubble wrap.

I have had a few ship a large Revolver in a light weight weight cardboard Box, with a handfull of styrofoam peanuts tossed in, and, of course, the parcel arrives and the Barrel is sticking out of a hole in the side of the box, up to or even past the Trigger Guard.

One can request how one wants one's purchase packaged of course...and probably, it is a good idea to do that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of federal law that would require a "measure of security" with regards to the container or something like that.

But definitely good to know that it's worth asking about before bidding.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
One might add that the problem doesn't arise if you buy a new gun; even the low-end manufacturers have gone to sturdy plastic factory cases, cardboard is pretty much a thing of the past. And at least on Gunbroker it usually tells you whether it comes with its box. So you really only have to worry about this if you buy a used gun from a private party. I only buy old guns that never have a box, and my FFL guy jokes that I owe him a new knife every few months because he ruins his nice Benchmade hacking his way through so much cardboard, packing tape, duct tape and bubble wrap to get to my guns instead of just pulling a plastic case from a cardboard box like for his other customers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One might add that the problem doesn't arise if you buy a new gun; even the low-end manufacturers have gone to sturdy plastic factory cases, cardboard is pretty much a thing of the past.
Ahh good point. I should have mentioned in the original post that I was more curious about how "old"/"used" vs modern ones that are practically from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Several months ago, I bought a Colt Official Police from a dealer I have been buying from for a number of years. They are always packaged perfect for the trip and never had a problem.

This particular revolver was shipped thru the USPS which normally does a good job of not destroying the package. The shipment arrived with the a "signature required" but the delivery man left it on the porch. Fortunanatly, I was home, but working in the back yard. I found the package when I came in, and I saw the mid section of the box was crushed. I was so concerned with the revolver, I carefully opened the box and it was packaged fine, but I pulled it out and first glance I did not see any problem. Whew, that was close, but I looked at the top strap and there was a small "cut" in the top strap! I was disapointed, but did not report due to the very small spot. I filed the burr left from the "hit" and put some Oxpho Blue on and it looks OK now. The small chunk is still missing from a perfect 1964 revolver.

I probably could have the PO pay for it, but it was like new until then. I think the box got hung up in a conveyor jam and it hit part of the conveyor frame really hard at that spot. The revolver was fine as I did fire it and made some measurements so it was good to go. I would certainly pay a few dollars more for a seller to provide a low cost hard case for all handguns!

Edit: Here is a photo of the ding in the Colt OP Revolver top strap:

Tool accessory Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As a side note I have bought from sellers who don't normally sell guns, if I am dealing with anyone who doesn't normally sell and ship I will discuss how to package with them before it is shipped. There are things we take for granted like wrap a gun you are shipping in a box so it doesn't get scratch marks from sliding around.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
Even with a hardshell case inside a cardboard box some clown (no offense to Bozo or Ronald Mac) can find a way to break it. My Auto Ordnance Semi-Auto Carbine arrived on a return trip from Kahr with a cracked stock and broken case. A.O. sent me a new stock but it had to take a substantial crush to crack a Thompson stock IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I find the best way to pack is keep the box light. In general the gun is first wrapped in some nonabrasive material (cotton t-shirt or microfiber material) and taped. Second layer a soft zipped gun case. third layer a thin bubble wrap taped fourth layer a larger bubble wrap taped. The gun can then be packed in small box or in a larger box depending with additional bubble wrap as required. The gun box if there is one bubble wrap internal with bubble wrap external taped. When my guns are packed in this manner there have been zero problems. Always pack the box and gun separately is the best in my experience even if they ship together packaged in the same box pack. packaging like this the box can be tramped thrown crushed and still the internal items have the best chance of surviving. Last always send overnight never on a weekend...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.