Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am going to start saving my penny for a COLT SAA P1850, I see that colt are making them with the 2nd generation style cylinder bushing. Also looks like the hammer are now color case too. Has any one bought one in the past few month. How is the Quality of it. And At $1350.00 would I be better off get a 2nd generation colt from gun broker or AA. I REAL WANT A COLT!! But I have seen some very nice USFA, OR the ones that Doug Turnbull puts out which are about $1000.00

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
You are correct in that the current 3rd gen SAA has the removable base pin bushing like the 1st and 2nd gens (started around 1999). As far as I know the hammer is not casehardened on the SAA, and has not been since the 1st gen. Possibly could get that done through the Custom Shop.

In many ways they are similar, in other ways not. The action on a 3rd gen 'feels' different to me than a 2nd (not quite as smooth). The hammer is slightly different and there are differences in the cylinder ratchet, barrel threads and grip frame shape. In many ways they look similar as far as case hardening, front sight, etc.

I am a Colt SAA enthusiast. That being said, I would probably examine a 3rd gen in person before purchase. Some guns are exceptional, some not so. The consensus is that 3rds are better quality now than before. For equal money I would buy a 2nd gen over a 3rd. Fewer made and generally regarded as higher quality.

USFA makes excellent guns with beautiful finishes. You really can't go wrong with USFA. However, USFA ain't Colt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WEAGLE99
what years are the 2nd gen? I THINK 1956 TO 1971 ???
and what would be a right price for a 5 1/2 45 lc 2ND Gen.

thank you frank

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
2nd gen SAAs were produced from 1956 - 1975. There were approximately 73,000 made, by far the smallest of all three generations. When they first came out in '56, they were only offered in .45 Colt and .38 Special with 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel lengths. The 4 3/4" came later.

Price? Hard to say and based on condition. An average 2nd gen with finish wear and w/o box etc. will probably run around $1600 or so, with NIB examples being very hard to find and costing much, much more. My advice is to scan the websites (gunbroker, AA, etc.) to get an idea as it is possible that you will only be able to find one via the internet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
weagle99, it's good to hear from another "Colt SAA enthusiast." Most on the Forum seem to favor the DA. My pride and joy is an 1890 .41 Colt SAA. Shot about 150 rounds with it after I inherited it from my dad, but at over $1.00 a round, pretty expensive. Plus being that old, I didn't want something to break. So it's "out in the open" next to a 1906 .38 WCF Bisley. I enjoy cleaning, handling them, and imagining the days when somebody was shooting them on a regular basis. The SAA was shipped to Montgomery Wards in Chicago, and the Bisley went to a hardware store in St. Joseph, Missouri. SAA ALL THE WAY. Rick

·
Registered
420 Posts
weagle99, yah I wish they could talk, all the stories they could tell. The only disappointing think about the .41 is that it was originally nickel, now it has been reblued. I bet it was a beauty coming out of the factory with that original nickel. It's still a nice looking SAA, the reblue job I think was done well. The roll markings are still very clear, and the stocks I'm pretty sure are original. I'm still trying to get pictures of them on the Forum. Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts