Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question that never gets asked, “How did my Colt get there?” As an example, this is my Colt Officers Model sent to the London Armoury Company in 1918. In order to get to Britain, it did not travel from the US on a dirigible, it had to go by ship. All the Colts sent to Britain during WWI traveled in the face of German U-Boats and bad weather. German U-Boats alone sank 5,000 merchant ships in WWI, an incredible amount.

31814484-80B0-4309-98A6-917F6BA4AC58.jpeg

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are a diligent researcher you may be able to narrow down the ship it travelled on. You likely need to get a colt letter and then try and find information in the UK about when it was proofed. This will give you a window to try and research shipping manifests between here and there. It sounds like a wild goose chase but I'd imagine many of these records still exist.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For me, the wonder of shooting old Colt's is the "time machine" effect they have. Every time I pick one up, I wonder who was shooting it when it was new, and what stories it could tell.

We all like to think our revolvers were used in the war, or by some noble lawman. Me personally, I like to think of the average guy who decided to pay a little more for a Colt. Dentists, plumbers, roofers, firefighters, preachers, grocers, heavy equipment operators, pharmacists, etc...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also have a how did it get here question. How did a Webley Wilkinson Model 1900 .455 Self Extracting Revolver that I’ve documented belonging to a noted career British army officer [bought it in 1904] who fought in both wars get to a pawn shop in NC? Another gun mystery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts