Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got into my gun safe after 10 years (see my other post) and would like to sell my Colt Python 357 mag CTG. Its blue with a 4 inch barrel. Serial number V076XX. Looks like its a 1959 gun, three years older than me! Like new condition. I see prices all over the place, how do I come up with a value that is fair to me and the buyer? Thanks from upstate New York!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,
I'm pretty sure the serial# dates to about 1978.
You will have to post pic's of the Python. It's all about condition,condition,condition. Original box and box contents add to the value if you have them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's 100% not a 1959 I'm sorry to say. They didn't start making the 4" barrels until the 1960s. 824 would be correct given the serial number information you posted. We would need pictures to evaluate its condition to answer your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picture

It's 100% not a 1959 I'm sorry to say. They didn't start making the 4" barrels until the 1960s. 824 would be correct given the serial number information you posted. We would need pictures to evaluate its condition to answer your question.
Thanks for the info. Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks pretty good. Gen 3 grips and like others said probably made in late 70s. What I found out recently that if you wait you may find someone willing to pay around $2,500 to $3,000 if you have box and papers maybe low end without box, etc. I think the closer to $2,000 the faster it will sell. I was looking to buy one recently and paid on the high end because I found one that was exactly what I was looking for. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I got mislead on the serial number and manufacture date, Colt site did not recognize the serial number with the V. Drop the V and it comes up as 1959! I wish. I don't have the box or any paperwork. Gun is like new, did not think it could be as old as 1959. It looks like 1978.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Kraaaken hit the nail on the head with reference to pricing. You will need good pics but what from what I can see, your finish is still in mint shape. Many 4" pythons were holster carried and the price comes down fast on those examples. I just missed a re-blued 4" for $900, but the lettering was a bit rounded off, would have been a great shooter. I think a reasonable asking price on yours would be 2k and of course you decide if you want to haggle and how long you want to wait. A 4" blued python sells for generally the least of all the python configurations probably because many were made.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Kraaken beat me to it. Looking at the asking prices on Gunbroker will probably make you all warm and fuzzy, but if you sign up for an account you can do a search for completed auctions. This tells you what people are actually paying for them, and that can be a totally different story. Many people will look at asking prices and say that "this is what they go for on Gunbroker", but asking prices and selling prices are two different things. Nothing is worth more than somebody is willing to pay for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts