Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely, I do not keep the revolvers in their original box with the foam inserts. But if the revolver comes with a case, do you store them in the case with all accessories. Or do you take them out of the case and put the revolver in the gun safe and the case/accessories in some other storage area?

With the exception of buying 2 or 3 more gun safes (which I really don't want to do), I am running out of room.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I store the cases separately from the guns because they take up too much room in the safe. You might want to put an note in the case with the guns' serial number on it so you don't get things mixed up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

That man cave idea is probably the most sensible thing to do to enjoy your collection, instead of what I have been doing for years, hiding it in my gun safe. Okay, looks pretty good. What do you use for brackets?

Rob

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes Rio, please come over to visit, I'll put you to work..You only see half the collection. It is time to take them, one at a time, and wipe them down. I've been trying to get to my man cave for over a month, it is over crowded and badly needs some organization. When I get it cleaning it up, i'll take some pictures of the entire room. Lots of CW and Indian War stuff. Here are some Remington bronzes, not modern repros.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Rob...The Colts are hung with brass "L" hooks. The Remingtons are on glass shelves with homemake walnut stands. Others are in glass covered show cases, and are hard to photograph. I display my Colt Open Top .22 as pictured...Jim

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have an extensive collection of all three generations of Colt percussion revolvers, for a total of more than 150 guns. about 1/2 of my originals are factory cased with accoutrements as are all of my 2nd and 3rd generation guns. These are stored in IKEA glass fronted book cases. The uncased originals are stored in Colt factory sleeves and these are stored in a dresser drawer. My collection is too large to store in safes. The floors in my apartment would not take the weight.
As for security, I am very careful as to who I let into my apartment, and very few people outside of other Colt collectors know of my collection. I have other security, but I am not going to publicise what it is other than whoever would try to burglerize me would be unpleasantly surprised. I would worry about law enforcement after the fact.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Steg: I too have over 100 pcs. Although I have a one story home, My one window is barred. The door is dead bolted and home motioned alarmed. I myself need to have my collection visible to me, this is the way I enjoy what I collect..I do have my collection catologed and priced, in the case of my sudden demise..After my spring cleaning, Ha Ha, I'll show the forum my man cave, as I have other collectables than guns....Jim

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I have a couple NIB repros I store in the boxes they came in. My oldies I store as I got them, like the one below in its holster dating back into its period of use. Others, usually in an old sock, all in my safe in my dehumidified gun-vault.

Safe lower right --

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boxes are in the attic.....guns are in a secret hidaway built into a closet.......no one including family knows where they are......but location is in my willl !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts