Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you determine if your Colt SAA is series one two or three, I am new to the group and to collecting Colts

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

I assume by 'series' you mean Generation, like 1st gen, 2nd gen, or 3rd gen.

Probably the easiest way to is consult reference lists for SAA serial numbers and determine when your gun is made. I have a few references and if you would like to post either the first or last few numbers I might could help you.

There are other, more subtle ways to determine the differences, but might be hard to explain via the internet depending on your knowledge of your revolver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would appreciate all the help I could get Colt 132398, 109075,96186,224239,171369,295206- these are the numbers of some of the SA
Jarhead

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
These are all 1st generation S/Ns and they were made before 1908. If all of these guns are yours you have started out collecting with a 'bang' as 1st generation guns are generally valuable.

I would be interested in hearing some of the details on these: finish, caliber, barrel length, etc.

Pictures would be good too!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually its a pretty funny story. Too make a long story short my two hunting and shooting buddies and I fell into this. Through a friend we heard about a collection of guns for sale the old gentlemen died and had no heirs. The collection has 7 colt SA ,13 New service in all cal, 7autos 25 cal 32 cal 380 cal, 45 cal, Huntsman and Woodsman and 4 black powder, with a cou;le of rugers and 5 Winchesters older models with two civil was rifles a Smith carbine and a spencer and sharps. So we put together a price and gave it to the person who controlled the estate and we ended up with this group its more that we wanted. There was a lot of old ammo also. If you send me an email I will mail the pics of the SA to you. they all have a nice silver grey patina and function better than the ones I use for CAS. Sorry for the long story
JARHEAD

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Sounds like you hit a treasure trove.

If you are looking to sell any of these items I'm sure that some of us on the forum would work with you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ever hear of that "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow? Well, you guys fell in it.......
That is some "awesome" stuff and I would do ALL your homework and get some "values"as to just what you do have. Being you are "asking us", it would seem to me, you got 'lucky' not knowing just what to look for.
Condition and originality is "everything".............. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We knew enough to get ourselves in trouble and smart enough to see a good deal. I had just joined the forum (I bought a 1878 Colt Frontier) and got a great help from one of the members, when this came up I went to the forum again. We aren't going to keep all of them, we are just taking our time.
Thanks for the help.
Semper Fi
Jarhead

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
We aren't going to keep all of them, we are just taking our time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep us in mind if you do decide to sell something. Some of us also like old Rugers and Winchesters /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are having a meeting this week to see what we want to keep and what we are selling I will let youknow.We do have an older 3 screw ruger in .357 43/4 barrel and a Bull barrel 22 auto
Jarhead

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What models of Colts do you collect?Along with the SA that I listed I also have 13 New Service and 4 autos 32,380 and 25. We also have a Sharps carbine, Smith Carbine and Spencer, and 4 cap and ball pistols. If you let me know I will try and get photos onto the forum.
Jarhead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts