Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think they’re interesting if they are well done,more so if original. I’d buy one at the right price,but I doubt that I’d carry it!

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I consider them a curiosity more than useful. The story behind them is what gives them value and factory produced versions show true professional workmanship. They are from a different age but I can't help but consider them unsafe to carry and use.

A true collector piece to be sure...but simply a liability monster in today's world.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'd have to agree they would likely be a bit of a liability in today's age, even though I probably would carry one given the opportunity. If they were safer or superior, more guns would be produced this way rather than it being an uncommon finish found on guns from almost 100 years ago. If they're properly done though, I think they look cool and definitely have a lot of history behind them that gives them some personality.

I'd definitely prefer a factory original, but I think if I found a well done post factory that hit all of the checkmarks, I would consider buying it. An original is one of the things I think would be a great addition to any collection.

·
Registered
223 Posts
IMO collecting guns and shooting guns are two different subjects . Can't help it , that's just the way I am . If I buy a gun for my collection I will not shoot it . If I bought a Fitz , it would have to be authentic so I could letter it for the collection . If I bought a Colt Fitz style gun I would shoot the sh*t out of it and i would carry it. Call me crazy .

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
For me, I think they are messing up a perfectly good gun. Even the originals aren’t for me personally. They are cool looking with interesting history... Now if they made a pre war 2 inch factory with target sight and wide hammer, I’d be all over it! ;) (if I could afford it)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If it were a genuine Fitz conversion with backing documentation I would own one just for the historical significance. And given the price of a genuine example someone would have to give it to me as I can't see spending several thousand dollars for a safe queen.
I wouldn't own one that was a copy, no matter how well done. I consider it as a butchered gun.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As a collector, I can understand and even appreciate a documented example to put in the safe.

As a practical matter, I have always shaken my head and shrugged.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,431 Posts
If it were a genuine Fitz conversion with backing documentation I would own one just for the historical significance. And given the price of a genuine example someone would have to give it to me as I can't see spending several thousand dollars for a safe queen.
I wouldn't own one that was a copy, no matter how well done. I consider it as a butchered gun.
While I certainly respect everyones opinion there are a few of us collectors that just enjoy owning something that reminds us of the past:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Yup, and the real deal is many multitudes more rare than all of the ones that someone took a hacksaw and grinder to over the years past when such things were more commonly done. Thecoltguy has put together a museum worthy display.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,431 Posts
While my collection is primarily comprised of original condition Colts the New Service above was done by my late friend John Wills. He was the best gunsmith that I ever knew. His workmanship and touch was superb. It's been in my collect for many years and while I do have several original Fitz models I still appreciate this first one that John did.

This is one other that he did. It's a New Service that John made a barrel for and fitted another crane assembly to and installed new sights. It is chambered in .45 Colt and .45 ACP. He also did the re-finish and made the custom set of stocks:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts