Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us in the game long enough tend to accumulate spare barrels, cylinders, etc. for various guns. How do you store these parts to avoid damage over the long haul? My thought is to apply a heavy coat of oil (Breakfree Collector), place in a ziploc bag, and store in a location where the parts won't be contacted / dinged (normally a padded envelope or box). Any flaws with that plan?

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I use tackle boxes & those plastic boxes you can buy anywhere that have removable dividers. These seem to work well for me.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
While most spare parts are bushings, recoil and firing pin springs and assorted guide rods and plugs I apply Eezox and allow to "cure" (the stuff dries and acts as a protectant) before placing in Ziploc bags with the white area for writing info. Each bag has a parts list inside on a slip of paper. Bags are separated by year and model of the firearm the parts are/were for or taken from and stored in clear plastic "shoe box" size containers that I got in bulk from Dollar General for something like a buck a box. Stacked in the gun room closet I can look inside without opening. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I was doing the same thing you do,mtspur, I was putting them in real small ziplock bags that i got from a variety store. these are real small ziplock bags an inch to 2" long just big enough to get springs,hands screws etc. I also had larger sizes for rebound levers,v springs,etc. I put some breakfree on the parts and put them in the little bags. I would mark the outside of the bag with magic marker, but it usually got smeared after awhile
I have also used the clear35 mm film plastic film containers (ive got alot of em) or those plastic pill bottles that lock when you turn them so far -pharmacies put blood pressure pills in them etc. they are about 3" long and1 1/4" in diameter.
They work the best cause they never come open unless you open them and I can store Vsprings,reboundlevers,hands,bolts etc. in them. The tiny ziplocks are good for the smallest parts like screws,springs because they don't take up hardly any room.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have a fairly large wood chest for my gun parts. Very small parts are kept in plastic divider boxes or small wooden boxes with dividers. Larger parts, of steel, are oiled and wrapped in wax paper, then wrapped in those blue paper shop towels that I'm so fond of, those from AutoZone. The wax paper serves as a barrier for the oil, the paper towel a cushion. For aluminum parts, just wrapped in a towel.

I do use some ZipLoc bags, but generally they take up too much room if they are so oversized. From Michaels Hobbies I buy real small plastic zip loc type bags.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I like the adjustable divider lure boxes and the clear plastic shallow food storage containers with snap on lids. I line the bottom with VCI paper and keep them sealed.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Well I bought an old "machinist tool chest"....a Gerstner made in OHIO.....it works nice.....here are a few pics....RR

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I am just getting ready to start organizing my medley of old Gun Parts.

I do not have very many, but, it is enough now to where being all jumbled up in a couple Cigar Boxes, is no longer making it.

Using an Old Machinst's Box, does look like a very nice way to go!

As would be using appropriately sized 'Zip Lock' Bags, with a small clearly written Note in side ( so if I ever pass the parts on to someone else by default, because I never did install them on anything prior to moseying on to the Great Beyond, they can know what the parts go to! Instead of wondering "What the hell is all THIS stuff?" - and tossing them into the Trash or something horrid like that... )

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If it is truly long-term storage year or more then one would ocnsider RIG or other petroleum jelly( yes that is what RIG is it is pure petroleum jelly). Storage bags such as plastic zip-loc are not air tight. The plastic used for common kitchen and lunch use are actually porous( check the frozen meat in the freezer). There are plastic bags that are not porous and are in fact air tight. Brownells and Midway carry them. When these are sealed then the item is no longer exposed to outside air and humidity. For short-term storage any protectant or lubricant will work fine and in this instance a common zip-loc or other brand is fine. One would be wise to add a desicant such as a piece of cardboard, a little rice or silicone bag or beads just to be sure. One last word of caution- if using a plastic bag and you are not wrapping the part in brown waxpaper then be sure the oil, protectant or lubricant does not dissolve the plastic.

flanman

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
With my interest in Colt 1902/05 automatics & New Services, I have two boxes, one for each type. Small parts are in plastic envelopes depending on quantity & type. If a larger part has enuf finish to matter it has its envelope, otherwise loose. Box has the small tools I have made in an envelope if small enuf, larger loose.

Another box has 'grips misc', another magazines, another for stuff that doesn't classify.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts