Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You put the revolver in one hand and a stop watch in the other...........................:p

Seriously, it's not something for the amateur to attempt as there is a 99.99% probability you will FUBAR. Here's a good explanation from another forum by our very own dafariswheel:

Colt DS timing question

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You put the revolver in one hand and a stop watch in the other...........................:p

Seriously, it's not something for the amateur to attempt as there is a 99.99% probability you will FUBAR. Here's a good explanation from another forum by our very own dafariswheel:

Colt DS timing question
Yup, I did the stop watch test but I am just too old to keep and eye on both while working the hammer lol.

My Colt isn't out of time much, looking down the barrel and into the cyclinder everything matches up. Maybe when I send it into Colt for rebluing might be a good time to have them check out the timing.
Or, I could just use this money and go buy a Glock?????
*I'm gray haired, going a little bald, wear my glasses on my nose, a little fat and born in the wrong era..........so, being ol'school, I may need to rethink the Glock option. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicago.... after talking and reading up on "timing" my Colt 3-5-7 isn't bad at all. After puling the trigger back and watching the timing, plus looking through the barrel and into the cyclinder, you can't see any parts of the cyclinder... ofcourse my eyes are old too. I was also told to get a wood dowel the same size as there bore and push that through the barrel and into the cyclinder (I'm not so sure of this idea).
Since the timing doesn't seem to be off that bad, I plan on shooting it and checking for any lead/brass fouling.
Your thoughts?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
I don't think a wood dowel will give you any useful information.
To do it right and get valid info, you need to use a real range rod.
This is a metal rod that a very snug slip fit in the barrel. It's so snug, you have to have the barrel very clean.
You can buy a range rod from Brownell's.

If you'd like info on actually HOW to re-time a Colt, buy the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual Volume One.
This is money well spent if you own a Colt, even if you don't plan on gunsmithing it.

THE COLT DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS - A SHOP MANUAL | Brownells

If you intend to send the gun in to Colt for a refinish, just let the real experts check it over and if it needs repair they'll tell you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Chicago"......thanks, I'm new to this Colt site and I can already see that Mr. dfariswheel is the MAN!
"Everyone"..... thanks for all of your help!
"Mr. dfariswheel".... THANK YOU from all of us!

·
Registered
440 Posts

Colt DS timing question[/QUOTE

Defariswheel-
An excellent explanation, with the cautions in the proper places. We the readers of this forum are very fortunate to be in the company of your expertise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.