Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen such ill-respect for firearms as I see out here in the West.

Sure...most are "working guns".
But how? Short of a table saw does this happen?

Even the hammer spring is broken!
The wonderful welding is NOT my doing. It came in like this.
The only request is to get it to "work".

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kept in saddle scabbard. Horse rolled over it and then owner tried to straighten on his own and those efforts created the breaks that were welded.....Heck, I don't have any idea but figured a gun like that needed a good story.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Messy divorce and a hacksaw.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That one takes the cake... It could start a "most messed up" sticky. I can't believe it don't work:rolleyes:
BOMC: it actually works!!! You just have to push up on the trigger release behind the trigger. (That pic shows it with the hammer screw out)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Horse and buggy crash..model T crash..divorce...No kidding a divorce! I once repaired a broken stock on a Winchester 190 .22 rifle. The owner was a co-worker and his soon to be ex wife had taken his .22 out and beat it against a tree! I felt he was fortunate she just broke it instead of loaded it and shot him!

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
A few years before my brother passed away his wife bought him an inexpensive single-shot shotgun as a gift. He really didn't want it and said for her to return it. His wife did a slow burn over that. A few days or a week later my brother asked if she returned the shotgun...she said no and that she threw it in the stream that ran through their property.

My brother freaked and went to find it. He did find it in the water but the butt stock was knawed off. He found the stock used as part of the dam the beavers built downstream.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No question in my mind it was a horse.

Back in the 50's and earlier you could buy barrel loads of broken lever guns from any where in the western US just like it, every damn one of them broke in a wreck of one sort or another on a horse. Had a '73 myself for 40 years that was broken at the tang and a bent lever I eventually tig welded and used a torch and hammer to straighten the lever . Fine old rifle.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I agree with Yahoody. It was probably a using gun that was involved in a horse incident. A guess might be that the rifle was carried butt forward and the rider and horse didn’t allow enough space between it and an Aspen tree. I have seen old valuable rifles that have zero finish on the butt butt stock from scraping against brush and trees as they were carried horseback. The ranchers and outfitters that I have been involved with are not exactly gun nuts. They were hunting, etc. I had a friend that carried a 95 Winchester horseback and it looked like hell but I would love to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I live in the City, my cousins in the country. They are the best shots I have ever known. Since we were all young, they have shot every day. My guns were and still are in incredible shape. It is a different state of mind. They truly use their guns like a tool. And, their guns show it. They fire every time but show total use all over them. Most would say they look abused, but don't get into a shooting match with any of them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's one I purchased for a parts-gun. But after cleaning it and shooting it, the rifle showed such awesome personality, I'm keeping it "all original." Shoots quite accurately too.

Replaced parts on this rifle--Barrel, bolt, hammer, butt-stock, lower tang, hammer spring, some screws.

More personality--authentic Pirate art work, extremely rare #4 horizontal butt-stock stabilizers (complete with matching grinder-enhanced nuts), traces of multi-wire Western Girdle, vintage wood putty, random tacks/nails, strategically cracked wood for reduced recoil, receiver lacks a layer of metal (definitely a new-fangled lighter weight option), and a super strong perfectly golden-brazed upper tang.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts