Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Fast Will Colt DA\'s Dry Up?

There are always new people getting into the gun interest. I see many posts from people who are buying NIB or LNIB with the intent to use.
What factors do you think will contribute to the Colt DA's "drying up" or becoming uavailable over the next ten/twenty years? I'm talking about regular production pistols.

Do you think it will be the same with an increase of prices to reflect inflation and market? The value seems to increase at a rate well beyond inflation.Will Colt DA's finally end up like 1st generation SAA's? Theoretically, there should be the same number of pistols, minus only what gets used up from shooting.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Re: How Fast Will Colt DA\'s Dry Up?

How fast will Colt's dry-up?

Nobody knows.

Fact, there won't be any new ones in the near future. If there will be new ones they would become a category on there own to collect.

Maybe Colts will never really dry-up, sure they will get scares but as long as there is money to be made and people still are willing to trade, there always will be Colt's available.

Now if one will be able to afford them at that time and price...

P.s.
If one really want a nice shooter why buy LNIB or NIB?
With todays prices I would get me a nice looking shooter and technically 100% and have some money left for ammo.
I believe that the high prices of NIB or LNIB will scare of the shooters.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

[ QUOTE ]
If one really want a nice shooter why buy LNIB or NIB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely, but I do see it alot. I think especially new people just getting into the sport.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

I also agree with Gunsmoke. I have no business with a NIB Colt as I'd have to shoot it. I want to experience the various classic firearms which means shooting them on occasion. I enjoy the care and feeding of the guns in my collection. I have no desire to spend the bucks on factory fresh for my purposes. A really nice "usin" gun suits me fine.

In my view the work-a-day models such as the Police Positive and Official Police represent good value for a collector. Prices are still reasonable though even they are starting to rise. The glamour guns of the 20th century Colt DA's such as the New Service, Python, Detective Special, and Officer's Model are already fairly "pricey" as well as some of the limited production models such as the Shooting Master, Border Patrol and Three Fifty Seven. No one seems to care much about the tiny Pocket Positive models yet. I don't observe many of the DA models introduced after 1969 but there are fans of those as well.

I don't think we'll live long enough to see the basic models such as armed America's police forces at mid-century become unavailable or excessively priced. Still, one'd better get 'em while they're hot! My crystal ball is cracked and I can't see the future.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts

I tend to think that at some point the market will actually start to open up more with Colt DA availability. I am basing this on my observation that by and large the 'fine gun collecting' community is starting to age and at some point their items will begin to be sold off either through lack of use / interest, or people passing on. I can envision at some point in the next 10 years or so (possibly more) that slugs of Colts will come on the market simply through collector attrition.

I know of several collectors in my area who are starting to sell off items because they are at an advanced age and realize they can't take their Colts with them. When I go to shows I notice that most of the folks who share my firearms interest are significanly older than myself. Of course I might be somewhat of an oddity in that I am in my 20's and prefer steel / walnut revolvers that are no longer made.

As a relatively young collector I have no worries about availability going forward, assuming nothing radical happens with our gun laws.

P.S. - I am one that will happily purchase a NIB Colt and take it to the range. Shooting isn't abuse.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. - I am one that will happily purchase a NIB Colt and take it to the range. Shooting isn't abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, shooting one isn't abuse, but that's the point being made. You have effectively taken another collector grade off the market permanently. Now don't take this as wrong as no one is telling you what to do with your guns, but there is now one less NIB specimen in the world that can't be replaced. New or younger shooters are attracted to pristine models like the rest of us, but if you plan to shoot then why not save a few dollars and get an excellent condition shooter? What if say 20 years down the road you decide you want a NIB specimen to add to your collection and it turns out they are not that easy to find? Well you had one when you were in your 20s.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts

I can respect that there are different views on this subject, and if you are interested in owning NIB guns and not shooting them then that is your choice. Myself, I simply won't own a firearm that I haven't shot at least once, or multiple times. Doesn't mean that I am going to drag them all through a briar patch? No, but Colt put a firing pin and a rifled barrel on their guns so I guess they were thinking that at some point they would be fired.

As far as ruining collectability: Almost every single 1st gen SAA, New Service, etc. have been shot, sometimes LOTS. Last I looked they were all very collectable.

·
Registered
962 Posts

As someone who has had an interest in Colts since about age fourteen, and now going on thirty-eight, I am probably truly in the middle of the debate when it comes to whether it "makes sense" to shoot a NIB Colt. At twenty, having immersed myself in Skelton, Keith, Seyfried, et al., I was of the opinion that there is no such thing as a gun that shouldn't be shot.

A whole lot of gun swapping and shooting later, I've recently come to see the wisdom of those that used to tell me not to shoot that NIB Colt I just purchased. It does, in fact, come down to money.

Yes, Weagle, it's true that lots of older Colts that are collectable have been shot. Thing is, there is collectable and then there is "super collectable".

I encourage you to take note of something that - likely due to the limited finances that most of us face in our twenties - you may not have noticed. At least, I didn't really grasp it until later in life.

Whereas a high condition (say 95%), all-original Colt New Service from 1929 can be considered collectable even if shot...compare prices to what it will take to buy that gun versus an identical model that is truly NIB. The price difference, I assure you, will not be five-percent higher to make up for that missing five-percent of condition. It will be significantly higher. Why? For the reason you just stated...most of them have been shot in the last seventy-plus years. Some people pay a tremendous premium - more than you or I would probably ever pay - for that last one or two TENTHS of condition between "never turned" versus "shot once".

I don't personally think there is anything immoral about shooting an unblemished specimen of any gun if it is done safely and sanely. But, no one can deny the sometimes massive change in value that one cylinderful will make. The question, then, is whether you think the satisfaction you will get from being the one to shoot that cylinder is worth the change in value. Or, stated differently, will your satisfaction be any different if you put those rounds through a specimen that is already 98% (and which cost you substantially less to acquire)? It is, of course, your choice. I'm only trying to offer a perspective that, until I had the resources to think about buying a truly collectible Colt, I never fully appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Like anything collectible, over time, some will disappear and price will go up. There should be enough volume out there thought, that will keep interest alive for quite some time.

I have only owned one colt in my life (more of a S&W person, sorry), but I spotted an absolutely immaculate 4" nickle Python last night at a local shop I frequent. It was purchased from the shop in the early 80's and was recently purchased back. Its spotless, with box and paperwork which are also in perfect condition. It was shot at one time, but the shop owner says the guy told him maybe one or two cylinders full. No visible turn line or powder residue.

The asking price is $950.

If you are interested, e mail me for contact info at the shop.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
As far as ruining collectability: Almost every single 1st gen SAA, New Service, etc. have been shot, sometimes LOTS. Last I looked they were all very collectable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes those are collectable due to their age. Specimens like that pose no harm in shooting. Now find a similar aged model that is truly an unturned NIB and look at it's price. For an early SAA the difference could be $10,000 and up.....wayyyy up. Is pulling the trigger just one time worth $10,000? Like I said earlier I'm not about to tell you what to do with your guns. What this old coot is doing is letting you know some things I have learned over the years.
Most of us probably thought just like you when we were young. I know I did. In time I learned that there are degrees of everything. The unturned NIB specimen is the highest degree of collecting in the gun world. It will have the highest value. As more and more time pass the value rises. It rises not only because of time, but also because there was only a finite number made and that number continues to dwindle as some people decide to shoot them.

·
Registered
301 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Like anything collectible, over time, some will disappear and price will go up. There should be enough volume out there thought, that will keep interest alive for quite some time.

I have only owned one colt in my life (more of a S&W person, sorry), but I spotted an absolutely immaculate 4" nickle Python last night at a local shop I frequent. It was purchased from the shop in the early 80's and was recently purchased back. Its spotless, with box and paperwork which are also in perfect condition. It was shot at one time, but the shop owner says the guy told him maybe one or two cylinders full. No visible turn line or powder residue.

The asking price is $950.

If you are interested, e mail me for contact info at the shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your email address?

·
Registered
502 Posts

Kurt:
Noted that you have been to the Cabin Range shop in Lockport, NY. Haven't heard of them in many years. When I had an FFL in the 70's and 80's, I bought a lot of Colts and S&W's at dealer prices from Terry Bond, who I thought owned the place then. Is Terry Bond still active there or are there new owners? Anyway, thanks for their phone #, I will probably call them and ask...
tommix

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

DA's will never dry up. Why? Because pricing is market driven. The "market" will shake em loose as prices go up.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Tommix
it is currently owned by Mike White and Doug Day. Doug is who i deal with and knows my name. I saw the gun this past Thursday. I dont know if Doug can send pics or not, but the gun is truly an extemely nice find.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Rather than speculate with "theory",the actuality,around here in N.N.E. is that Colt D.A.s are NOT drying up,nor have they escalated in price(except in the minds(?) and price tags of some "dreamer dealers".

2 weeks ago,I steered a friend into a Lawman,blue with "rubbers" for $200.

I just picked up a very nice Army Special 4.5" .38 Spec. made in 1917,for $175;only slightly ramped front sight and 2nd Type Trooper,Officers,Python target grips kept it from being original(have some orig. Army Special H.R. stocks. Bet those 2nd type stocks could bring damn near the $175 on fleabay!

Other Colts I saw,are Agent,Cobra and D.S.(older types with exposed ejector rods) snubs from between $300-350,O.P.s(post wars,in $250-275 range). Rare(?) post war .32 Police Positive(long PPS cylinder/frame),around $300.

A realistic dealer,who prices to sell,as these are 90-95% guns with no boxes etc.

Won't turn the "annointed collectors of "safe queens" on,but shows that IF you dig hard enough,drive long enough,and get off the "computer auctions"-you might find some bargains!

Sadly /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif this dealer told me,that many "shooters" are staying away from used Colts,due to the "shortage of parts",now that Colt is out of the D.A. business!! As a result,S&Ws,the same vintage/condition as above Colts,are priced a bit higher.

Yeah right,just like S&W will have parts for a 1917 made M&P!!

Sorta reminds me of the rumors when certain automobile marques were "discontinued";there were some great bargains there!

Bud

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

[ QUOTE ]
IF you dig hard enough,drive long enough,and get off the "computer auctions"-you might find some bargains!

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more.

[ QUOTE ]
...now that Colt is out of the D.A. business!! As a result,S&Ws,the same vintage/condition as above Colts,are priced a bit higher.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a point I hadn't considered. I've noticed the price increases on S&W, particularly the Model 27-2 and 29-2. I've been watching LNIB 29-2's selling for over $1000!!! Just a year or so ago they were $650-$800. It never occurred to me that the Colt situation would impact overall sales of pistols, but what you say makes sense.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I am bummed beyond words. Today I missed a 1930 manufactured 38 spl square butt Bankers model that was boxed with some but not all of the contents. The gun was 98% and box 94% for $1000 less than the (online) "going price". I needed last night to think about it because I've never purchased sight unseen (no photos and not in person). I called the man ((reputable dealer (I assume), I didn't know this "collector" dealer but he seemed knowledable)) 14 hours later to say I'll take it. He had it at a gun show that he was attending. My heart sank as he told me that the gun left his table about 2 hours earlier.

The statement is true. Get away from online auction sights. I spent hundreds of hours performing internet searches, phone calls and follow-up calls to indirectly locate this gun and in the matter of hours....it was gone.

In other words, overpaying (via online auctions) for a DB that's boxed including hang tag is easier than picking a selection from a wal-mart shelf and walking up to the cashier to hear cash / debit, paper / plastic.

This post is directed to the newbies. There are other purchase options and the hunt of your treasure is the pleasure.

·
Registered
254 Posts

just bought a nib, never fired except by colt, a 6 in anaconda, has matching cardboard sleeve and papers. its from 1992. at a very fair price. keep looking they are out there.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Good for you. The snake is in good hands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts