Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I finally want to pop for a SAA. It must be mint, and I don't care about the collector value of and older gun, so I thought I should simply buy a new one. Are they as good as a Colt should be? Thanks for your thoughts.Fuzzy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Think I finally want to pop for a SAA. It must be mint, and I don't care about the collector value of and older gun, so I thought I should simply buy a new one. Are they as good as a Colt should be? Thanks for your thoughts.Fuzzy
Yup - if you buy a new Colt it will be every bit as good as any other Colt you can find.

They still produce the finest SAA made - the clones are just not as good, IMNSHO!

I shoot a Colt SAA right now, once I sell my Ruger short gun I'll get another Colt -
I found a new one on GB, there are more out there.

I shoot a 4.5 Gr Trail Boss Load pushing a 250 LRNFP bullet at a pokey 600 f/s,
it hits POA=POI every time - and tight as a clams bottom - and that's water tight!

SC

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
I would have to agree with the other lads here in that the new Colt's are every bit as good as the old boys. There's new advances in metalurgy all the time and Colt would most definitely take advantage of any new materials.

Hope that helps

Matchlock

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The current SAA's are no where close as far as quality goes as compared to a 2nd genration SAA. They do not compare.
USFA makes a better SAA than Colt right here in 2012. Fit, finish,case color everthing about the USFA is much finer than a current production Colt. Thats a shame but its true.

John Fugate

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
The current SAA's are no where close as far as quality goes as compared to a 2nd genration SAA. They do not compare.
USFA makes a better SAA than Colt right here in 2012. Fit, finish,case color everthing about the USFA is much finer than a current production Colt. Thats a shame but its true.

John Fugate
I think the current Colt SAAs are great guns. Colt has really improved the quality of these new ones compared to some (not all) of the SAAs that came out in the mid and late 80s. I too like the 2nd Generation SAAs better than the current guns. However, if you are going to shoot it might just as well buy a new.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I new my post would not be taken with open arms,,
:cool:
John
I have heard that the most recent Colt's coming out are much better than earlier 3rd Gen's. My personal experience is the early 3rd Gen's are, well I'll say it, junk. Loose cylinders, ill fitted grips, and dull finishes are just a good start. Others I have seen much later have been much better. I will agree that what I have seen of 3rd Gen's, 2nd Gen's are typically much better quality. And as my name suggests, I also believe that USFA guns are typically of higher quality. Please understand my comments are from a true Colt enthusiast.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have heard that the most recent Colt's coming out are much better than earlier 3rd Gen's. My personal experience is the early 3rd Gen's are, well I'll say it, junk. Loose cylinders, ill fitted grips, and dull finishes are just a good start. Others I have seen much later have been much better. I will agree that what I have seen of 3rd Gen's, 2nd Gen's are typically much better quality. And as my name suggests, I also believe that USFA guns are typically of higher quality. Please understand my comments are from a true Colt enthusiast.
I like your Usename,, it represents " Excellance " to the highest degree.

John
" A True Colt enthusiast as well,, but an open minded Colt enthusiast "

·
Registered
127 Posts
... And as my name suggests, I also believe that USFA guns are typically of higher quality. Please understand my comments are from a true Colt enthusiast.
Wow, I did a google search and found your site and read the article. Good to see Made In The USA! I will give a SAA a thought as a potential next purchase. Too bad the 17 HMR doesn't appear available any more as indicated in the article. My cousin wants a 17 HMR pistol. Have you ever thought about a 12/17 HMR?:cool:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
USFA makes a better SAA than Colt right here in 2012.
:bang_wall:To keep the discussion relevant to the topic and so as not to confuse the op, let's clarify here and now that USFA, like Ruger et al, does not, and never has made a SAA. It would be prudent to keep the discussion focused on the original question unless the op directs otherwise. He specifically asked about the Single Action Army, not someone else's "Single Action" or copy of the SAA.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Being a retired Experimental Machined Parts and Assembly Inspector for the same Major Aircraft company for forty years, Im pretty dang picky when it comes to the guns I purchase. Ive purchased 2 Colt NIB 3rd Gen guns in the last month and give the Colt guys an A for fit, form, function and finish. I cant see how the quality could be any better. I have a collector friend who has over sixty Colt SAA's of all generations including 6 NIB 2nd Generation guns, and he feels the 3rds they are putting out currently are every bit as good as his seconds. With this in mind, I say Currently putting out, there was a period from 86 to 90 when the quality was down and Id stay away from ones made in this time frame.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
:bang_wall:To keep the discussion relevant to the topic and so as not to confuse the op, let's clarify here and now that USFA, like Ruger et al, does not, and never has made a SAA. It would be prudent to keep the discussion focused on the original question unless the op directs otherwise. He specifically asked about the Single Action Army, not someone else's "Single Action" or copy of the SAA.
Let it go man,,,, just let it go. :D

John

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys. All of it was helpful. I previously had little info about the USFA guns so it is quite interesting to hear about their top quality. However, I think I will only be happy with a hog leg with the name Colt on it. Also thanks for the trail boss load. Good timing. I just picked up my first container of it today, so I will be sure to try that load.All the best,fuzzy.P.s. remember...we are all on the same team.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. All of it was helpful. I previously had little info about the USFA guns so it is quite interesting to hear about their top quality. However, I think I will only be happy with a hog leg with the name Colt on it. Also thanks for the trail boss load. Good timing. I just picked up my first container of it today, so I will be sure to try that load.All the best,fuzzy.P.s. remember...we are all on the same team.
Theres something to be said for shooting a Colt,, you just dont get that same John Wayne feel with you shoot a USFA. Its like hitting a baseball with a "Louisville Slugger",, it just has that certain magic.

John Fugate

·
Registered
306 Posts
For the record, the best compliment Colt could have is to have so many trying to copy or replicate the SAA. If a person was to only have one or a couple, I would recommend getting Colt. If a person had the ability and was open minded, they certainly would not have a problem owning a USFA as the quality is extremely high and holding and shooting a true SAA copy will give great satisfaction. Ruger's are, in a slightly different way, great guns as well and also will give great satisfaction, but they are not true copies of SAA design.

My enthusiasm for Colts hit me from the first gun my mother gave to me in the early 70's, which was a Colt Detective Special. Thanks to a Colt Collector, I became acquainted with Colt 2nd Generation Blackpowders and was starved for info. At that time I could only find info in Uberti catalogs that also displayed SAA copies, as there were no Colt catalogs in the local gunshops. There were also no Colts. But I did find a couple USFA's, which immediately brought my love for Westerns back forever. The USFA's had a quality that melted into my hands as I held them. My search for a Colt went without satisfaction as there were none to view locally. I then found some at a show, and I was so disappointed as they were early 3rd Gen's and they were terrible. Afterwards, finding 1st and 2nd Gens, I was very happy to have finally realized what everyone was talking about. I have a special place in my memory for those USFA's that brought my interest to a peak in the search for the Colt SAA and the Westerns I remembered as a child.

Without reservation the Colt SAA at its highest quality is King. But I am willing to be open minded and leave room in the safe for both USFA's and Ruger's right along with my Colt's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts