Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in the big scheme of things did I get a nice Service Grade Colt and document it's recent digital travels? It was at Guantanamo Naval base for sometime, like 33 years. The Navy says no actual paper records are available before 1977. Would you consider this one would be as fine as I do?
I did pay $1250 to the CMP and feel very happy with what I got. I feel like it could bring a lot more now with it's history but I wouldn't even want to let it go. It's my dream pistol come true. We all know at this time its a once in a lifetime purchase rule at the CMP.

Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory Air gun

Font Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More... It's been through many rebuilds during it's service and it didn't get any Arsenal stamps on those trips to and from. However the slide is a Colt slide serialed behind the firing pin plate to 1943 production. It is a true mixmaster but most are anyway.

Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Carbon Gas

Grey Font Material property Wood Metal

Fluid Material property Cylinder Gas Font

Wood Gas Close-up Auto part Audio equipment

· Registered
726 Posts
I dig it in general as what I have always known to be a 'standard' surplus 1911 - I firearm I am still amazed to hear many 'gun guys' don't, and never have, owned.

I particularly like those chrome-lined contract barrels in a shooter.

Congratulations in general and on getting that Navy documentation in particular. Excellent score on both counts. I sure do miss the days when that would have had guys whining for being priced at $400.:LOL:

I know that they've been as cheap as $19.00 but my entry into the market had them something like $185 and watching fellas say "What the hell?.... I'd NEVER pay more than $* for one of those rattle-traps!"

· Registered
375 Posts
Looks like a nice pistol to me. I acquired my first 1911 type pistol, a 1911A1, back in the mid '60s. I don't know serial number range or manufacturer. Back then they were just "45s". A few year later in RVN, I was issued a 1911A1 as an Armor TC. Decades later, the PD where I was employed had three 1911A1s in the armory, courtesy of the DOD 1033 program. I appreciate the military history associated with these guns, but am not a collector, just a guy who carried similar guns in military and LE. I've enjoyed a long association with these pistols, but never got around to acquiring another surplus 1911A1. Enjoy yours.

· Registered
12,922 Posts
Depending on where the rebuild/refurbish was done, the pistols did not always get marked. Normally only the arsenals or armories marked theirs, with the lower echelon rebuild facilities not marking theirs.

· Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
747 Posts
I prefer the modern 1991A1 as the modern tool making machinery can fit the pistol to a tighter degree.
I always thought a 1911A! was an update of the original Colt 1911 (made in 1911). I think it came in around the time of the Vietnam War.

· Registered
13,185 Posts
I prefer the modern 1991A1 as the modern tool making machinery can fit the pistol to a tighter degree.
I always thought a 1911A! was an update of the original Colt 1911 (made in 1911). I think it came in around the time of the Vietnam War.
Not sure what you're getting at. The 1911A1 was approved in the mid 1920s. No 1911A1 pistols have been made since the end of WWII. Anything beyond that was arsenal rebuilds and new replacement parts but not complete pistols.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if you know what you're talking about here. These Service grades are fresh off the Army Rebuild Arsenals (though stored for decades) and arrive as tight as any new production 1911A1 made since. This one is as brand new and no rattles or loose fitting. If you like a 80's series 1991A1 with extra parts on the inside, that's fine cause I've had one long time ago.

But you can get only ONE of these in your lifetime from the CMP.

Reactions: 1911Collector

· Registered
7,873 Posts
I'd be happy with that one, being in the Navy when it was owned by them. It points out several interesting things. The Navy continued to use the 1911A1 long after the other services had gone to the 9mm Beretta. I got out in 89, we still had them on all the ships in our fleet, probably for another 10 years too. Hence you see 2010 as the last year the Navy owned it, probably in storage for a decade while they made sure they received enough Berettas. I thought it was pretty cool that all the ships had WWII handguns, 50 years old when I was in.
Another thing is it goes against the common misassumption that shipboard (or shore station) Navy guns will be in worse condition than Army. Not true. The Navy kept their .45s very well maintained and oiled, and they were seldom out in the rain or mud. Usually in a roving patrol's or gate guard's leather flap holster, turned in every few days to a Gunner's mate who would oil them down.

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts

· Registered
747 Posts
Not sure what you're getting at. The 1911A1 was approved in the mid 1920s. No 1911A1 pistols have been made since the end of WWII. Anything beyond that was arsenal rebuilds and new replacement parts but not complete pistols.
I'm not sure if you know what you're talking about here. These Service grades are fresh off the Army Rebuild Arsenals (though stored for decades) and arrive as tight as any new production 1911A1 made since. This one is as brand new and no rattles or loose fitting. If you like a 80's series 1991A1 with extra parts on the inside, that's fine cause I've had one long time ago.

But you can get only ONE of these in your lifetime from the CMP.
It's my confusion. I didn't really understand that you guys were talking about the original Colt 1911, and it's next update. No doubt, as those are very rare and very valuable. It's hard to find one in excellent condition.

Here is a modern Colt 911 1991A1 according to my opinion:
Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel Metal

Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory Trigger

I've owned several different ones in the last 35 years. All of my current Colt 1911's are mostly replica's of the original ones.

· Registered
747 Posts
What is this?
It's a Colt 1911 Anniversary made in 2011.
Product Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

It goes back to 1911 as an "100 Anniversary". It's a Tier III and not a special Tier I.

Does it shoot well? Hell yes. The Colt factory took some extra time to build them. Is it a collector 1911? No way; it's just a Colt 1911 with some extra engraving stuff and special factory treatment.

I actually bought this one NIB and unfired. The box includes a lot of extra stuff. I liked the look and, I bought it and took it to my range to fire it. It worked well. It's #515 of the many that were made by hand.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like you have a very nice pistol with a good history, if only it could tell some stories.
More than likely it would be about standing Mid Watch while aboard the many ships as I stood watch on in a holster with a coffee cup in one hand. I have done my time at sea as a Marine Sergeant assigned as Master-at-Arms in the Atlantic and Med cruises. While it wasn't in my hands during the first transit of Us Naval ships down the Suez Canal after the Six day War I did stand on the flight deck armed with a 1911A1 and 7 rounds to keep the entire Egyptian Arab onlookers on each side of the canal on their toes(RLOL) so there's that.

But I can say without a doubt it and I were on the same side of the Earth during those days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts