Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about shotguns, but I'm pretty sure L.C. Smith is considered good ones. What can you tell me about this probably restocked Field Grade 16 gauge as to quality, historical importance, or any other significant thing about it? It sure is a tight gun. Has what looks like finish that was removed to bare metal on purpose, and a very thick forend of good looking wood. And rubber pad on a very short butt stock.

how to upload photos in internet

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I like LC Smiths. I suspect the forearm is a replacement on that one also.

Shooter grade. The wood in the stock near the locks is thin by design and can crack if not properly reinforced.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I've got 2 LC Smiths but they are marked 'Hunters Arms' or sum such on the ribs so I figure that this Hunters outfit must have bought the LC Smith name or whatever at some time. They were cheap and at one time I was buying old doubles when I couldn't afford higher priced guns. I must have a dozen or so of different makes.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got 2 LC Smiths but they are marked 'Hunters Arms' or sum such on the ribs so I figure that this Hunters outfit must have bought the LC Smith name or whatever at some time. They were cheap and at one time I was buying old doubles when I couldn't afford higher priced guns. I must have a dozen or so of different makes.
This one is also marked Hunter Arms on the barrel.
And weagle99, there is in fact a crack in the underside of the fore end at the frame with some epoxy in a spot where a sliver was missing.

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
The action and locks were originally color case hardened, which probably results in having the appearance of having the finish removed to the bare metal. The color casehardening was not a durable finish and wore to a silvery look.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 16 ga. Elsie is my favorite bird gun.

Back in the day the 16s were considered the ideal field gun. They carried like a 20 and hit like a 12. Then folks decided they needed magnums.
The nice thing about the L.C. Smiths is that they scaled the frame sizes to the gauge rather than simply putting sub gauge barrels on a 12 gauge frame. In their time they were often considered equal to the likes of English Best guns like Purdy and Holland and Holland.
Elsie's still have a strong following as evidenced by the Elsie web site and the competition they share with the Parkers in the annual Challenge Cup at the Southern Side by Side.

Elsie manufacturing has gone through a number of ownership changes with the most recent by Marlin. I won't go into the details but the web site has all the details if one is interested.

For more details of the various models and production information, the Houchins book is outstanding.

Mac

The Challenge Cup
Annually celebrating vintage American gunmakers, 2017 marked the 14th Challenge Cup between the L.C. Smith Gun Collectors Association and the Parker Gun Collectors Association during the Southern Side by Side weekend. More than 100 shooters entered the Challenge Cup Event, with the proceeds benefiting the North Carolina Youth Shooting Foundation.

https://www.southernsidebyside.com/

Home - L.C. Smith Collectors Association, Inc.

L.C. Smith: The Legend Lives
by John Houchins (2006)
Jostens, Winston-Salem, NC

This book covers the entire history (1880-1971) of the production of L.C. Smith shotguns. Included is an in-depth analysis of all the different types and grades of L.C. Smith shotguns. It contains 700 pages with over 550 detailed color photographs and illustrations. Included is information on production and serial numbers, the anatomy and mechanical features, catalogs and promotional items, and a complete set of patents.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wyatt, looks like you got some good info in this string. I've got Brophy's book, and it's good for part ID and tech info. if yours is in working order Houchin's book would probably be a better read. As for the case coloring it wears thin in the handling areas seen a lot on receivers of double guns and lever guns, but have also noticed some old guns with little use wear having dull or faded case colors in all or some areas.... don't know if it's due to atmosphere or sunlight or ?

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 16 ga. Elsie is my favorite bird gun.

Back in the day the 16s were considered the ideal field gun. They carried like a 20 and hit like a 12. Then folks decided they needed magnums.
The nice thing about the L.C. Smiths is that they scaled the frame sizes to the gauge rather than simply putting sub gauge barrels on a 12 gauge frame. In their time they were often considered equal to the likes of English Best guns like Purdy and Holland and Holland.
Elsie's still have a strong following as evidenced by the Elsie web site and the competition they share with the Parkers in the annual Challenge Cup at the Southern Side by Side.

Elsie manufacturing has gone through a number of ownership changes with the most recent by Marlin. I won't go into the details but the web site has all the details if one is interested.

For more details of the various models and production information, the Houchins book is outstanding.

Mac

The Challenge Cup
Annually celebrating vintage American gunmakers, 2017 marked the 14th Challenge Cup between the L.C. Smith Gun Collectors Association and the Parker Gun Collectors Association during the Southern Side by Side weekend. More than 100 shooters entered the Challenge Cup Event, with the proceeds benefiting the North Carolina Youth Shooting Foundation.

https://www.southernsidebyside.com/

Home - L.C. Smith Collectors Association, Inc.

L.C. Smith: The Legend Lives
by John Houchins (2006)
Jostens, Winston-Salem, NC

This book covers the entire history (1880-1971) of the production of L.C. Smith shotguns. Included is an in-depth analysis of all the different types and grades of L.C. Smith shotguns. It contains 700 pages with over 550 detailed color photographs and illustrations. Included is information on production and serial numbers, the anatomy and mechanical features, catalogs and promotional items, and a complete set of patents.
Thanks, everyone. The shotgun is actually my daughters. Appreciate all the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts