Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should say TROOPER
I bought a one piece Hogue beautiful wood grip but didn't realize I had to REMOVE the bottom alignment pin. I called Hogue and
the girl said just tap it out with a brass hammer? I tried , it does not want to move and I don't want to ruin a gorgeous
gun to put a nice grip on it; I certainly don't want to crack the frame????? Is there a trick????? Help????

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Put some paint or marker on the pins. While the paint is wet, press the grips onto the frame until the paint puts marks the back of the grips. Measure the alignment pin and drill the back of the grips slightly larger until they fit. :)

Why mess up a perfectly good Trooper for a pair of aftermarket grips...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunattely not too feasible;; would have to slide all the way to the bottom of frame??? onepiece.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,071 Posts
Hogue's don't install that way. They're one piece and have to be slipped up on the frame..

To remove the frame pin, get a block of wood and drill a hole in it big enough and deep enough to accept the pin.
Put the frame on the block with the pin in the hole and use a small hammer and a brass drift to drive the pin out.

Some are tighter, but they do come out without damaging the frame.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have removed dozens of those pins for fitment of different grips and I use a small brass hammer that was part of a Brass punch set. I put the frame on a wooden table with the pin just clearing the edge and drive them out the old fashioned way. I have never even as much as make a flek of nickel come off, I think if you follow DFarriswheel instructions you will be just fine. Not much to go wrong and I thought maybe my experience would put you at ease.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I just last week installed a set of identical Hogues on a Trooper Mark III. To get the pin to move I had to use a hydraulic press, took about 5 ton to move it, judging by the gauge. Once it started it was easy to use a pin punch to move it the rest of the way out. I tried brass drifts and hammer couldn't get it started. I also tried an arbor press but mine was too small, not enough leverage. It took the hydraulic press to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts