Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On one of my trips out of the interior/bush of Alaska, in 1973, came across a Colt SAA 4 3/4" .357 magnum 2nd Gen in a Pawn Shop in Anchorage. Did some trading n' it went out the door with me. Pawn Shop asking price was $135.00 Back then I wasn't too fond of a SAA being in .357 magnum. Already having/using in the bush a 1958 5 1/2" SAA in .44 Special, so decided to alter/convert this .357 magnum to suit 'me'.

I sent the cylinder off to Christy Gun Works and they re-bored it to .44 Special. Having a 7 1/2" factory .44 Special barrel on hand, had a gunsmith cut it down to 4 3/4", seeing as that barrel length wasn't offered with a 2nd Gen SAA. In the meantime I 'dehorned' any corners/ridges on the trigger guard (give me a break here, k'. Colt SAA's were readily available back then) and sent it off to Armoloy for their coating. Later on added a Webley type butt swivel - they do come in handy when canoeing. About 9 years ago, stopped by to visit with Bob Munden and left it with him for his action work. All-in-all it has been/is a useful tool for 'me'.

Would I give a Colt SAA such treatment again today? Most likely not, unless it was a basket case.
What have others done to Colt SAA's, altering them from their original factory release?
An older Model 100 Lawrence holster, but still in top shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Nice! A gun that gets used and mods to make it more durable and user friendly. Well done.

I didn't do the work but perfect gun for my own use. I came to me as a 4", 3rd Gen, 4" in .44.

Also a 44 Special where I use 240s. More recently I fit a 44-40 cylinder for 200s. I got it with stag. Never a big fan of stag I bought and fit a set of true once piece walnut blanks from Dave Lanara to take the abuse of a saddle gun gets. Had Jim do a new design for me on the holster. I like the combo.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Colts are expensive today so extensive mods are kinda out of the question. However on 1st and 2nd gen revolvers I've swapped barrels & cylinders, had them case hardened and re-blued. IMHO an early gun that has already been put through the "fire" (shot out, hammered to death and no longer original) is simply waited to be "transformed. I don't considered 2nd gen guns to be even remotely "collectible" and have no qualms whatsoever having caliber changes and refinished.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mainly spring replacement, action work and after market grips. Plus a consecutive numbered pair of the 125th Anniversary commemorative from 1961 that went to Nutmeg for one-piece ivory and Turnbull for "1st gen" refinishing.

As purchased:
SAAs Turnbull pair 016.jpg

as completed:
SAAs Turnbull pair 001.JPG They are now my main-match revolvers for cowboy action shooting.
With custom Trailrider rig:
Trailrider custom rig 003.JPG
Fulfilling a life-long fantasy playing cowboys with my Colts!

·
Premium Member
19,876 Posts
I have a 2nd gen that was in 357 mag that I converted to a 44 special with Colt barrel and cylinder. I sent the 357 mag cylinder to Jim Cornwall and had him re-bore it to 44-40 to go with the SAA so it could shoot both cartridges. Both cylinders have the rampant colt on the rear.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Picked up this well used 2nd Generation .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel and a ruined hammer for a very good price at a Phoenix gun show. I had a .44 barrel I'd bought for $80 at a show in Yuma. Dropped it off with Bob James for a new hammer, barrel swap, cylinder bore and action job. Fitted Ram's Horn grips myself, now it's a great .44 Special shooter configured just the way I wanted. 2nd Gen .357.jpg IMG_0193.jpg

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Your modified SAA with lanyard ring looks great. And practical for your uses. On a rare impulse buy for me I picked up this grip frame and grips and tried them on a couple .45s. The trigger hole was plugged. These grips felt great in the hand and I thought it looked like Bass Outlaw's slip gun. But I sold it to Swamprat and it's probably still in his estate collection for sale now, may he rest in peace.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have converted several 38's and 357's to 44 or 45 cal guns. Or, long barrels to short barrels.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
Around 1984 I saw a full blue SA with repro hard rubber grips, 5 1/2" .38 Special Christy barrel and cylinder and no markings and a great action. It was $200. Pawn shop guy said it was Italian but looking at it in good light I faintly saw the rampant Colt on the frame. I bought it and I remember he put "Italian" as the gun's make on the receipt. Things were simpler then. My late friend Frank Leaman turned it into a 4 3/4 engraved .45 with new frame markings. The gun was made in 1920.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Around 1984 I saw a full blue SA with repro hard rubber grips, 5 1/2" .38 Special Christy barrel and cylinder and no markings and a great action. It was $200. Pawn shop guy said it was Italian but looking at it in good light I faintly saw the rampant Colt on the frame. I bought it and I remember he put "Italian" as the gun's make on the receipt. Things were simpler then. My late friend Frank Leaman turned it into a 4 3/4 engraved .45 with new frame markings. The gun was made in 1920.

Well we need to see the whole gun

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
shooter said:
A Colt SAA needs no "mods". It's perfect just the way it is....
And there I was thinking the most fun part about a SAA is how easy it is to change caliber on one, make new grips of any size required or simply turn a barrel to get them shooting POA :)

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
The only thing I have done to my cowboy action guns is use the wolf hollowed out mainspring for a lighter pull. I have a 3rd gen NF nickel 357 7 1/2” that is very heavy on the hammer pull that may get one of those springs as well.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I install the Wolff springs in my second gens as well, then use the second gen springs for the pre war guns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts