Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In California it is a line at the door if people know when ammo comes in and is gone in 10 minutes; especially 22 LR??? I hope it is better other places????

·
Registered
879 Posts
Nope.... In Raleigh NC shelves are still bare. Unless you have a gun that shoots 270 because that's all I seem to find.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm doing fine......I roll my own. Gave up on 22's when I can shoot my 357's, 38's, and blackpowder 45 Colts for less per round than some folks are charging for 22's.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Wifey and I were in the new Cabela's store in Columbus OH yesterday. The place was packed, especially in the firearms department and really packed in the ammo section. The shelves were far from full, but much better stocked than even a few weeks ago. Our focus was on pistol ammo, primarily .45 ACP and .38 Spec. Lots of Herter's brand ammo in various calibers. I'm in there once a week or so and the crisis situation seems to be easing a bit. I've noticed their website has a wobbly but steadily increasing availability also.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I spent my vacation in VT and traveled to NH and ME. Kitterey Trading Post had empty shelves as well as stores in VT and NH. I guess Obama got what he wanted by buying up 1.5 billion rounds of ammo for domestic use.....Welcome to the "NEW AMERICA".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bass pro in Charlotte had some 22lr Winchester HPs for $3.49 (50) limit 2. They also had some 9mm target for $17 a box. Walmarts around here are hit or miss. They just opened a Gander mountain firearms super store near me and they have A LOT of Blazer 9mm and .40. I still think $17 a box for target 9mm is outrageous but what do I know.:confused:

·
Registered
769 Posts
We get it in my shop but limit purchases to make it go around (or the hoarders grab it all). It's coming back in all calibers. Just be patient. Oh. reloading components are starting to show up too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two indoor ranges; one will only sell you 1 box to shoot at their range, the other has none in stock. The second range got inventory in on Thursday of last week when I called at 1:30pm and by 4pm they were sold out. There are no local Walmarts, Dicks, or other stores with either .308 or .45 ammo.The good news is that you can buy as much as you want online. I have not had any issues at a number of sites. My son came in town this past weekend from college so I just had to plan early and ordered 500 rounds and had it delivered to the house. I dont know that I will even think about any LGS for ammo anymore.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The ammo dealers at the last couple of gun shows I attended seemed to have most of the calibers that have been hard to find, and the retail stores have bare shelves, except for a few less than popular calibers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The new Academy Sports in Cape Girardeau, MO had plenty of ammo on their shelves last weekend. They had limits on .38Spl, .45ACP, .308 and 9mm, but not on other calibers. I got a box of Hornady's Garand stuff. They had calibers like .300 and .303 Savage and some even less common. Prices weren't totally unreasonable. Another shop in the area had stocked shelves in common stuff like .44Spl and uncommon like .44 Russian and .25-35 Winchester. It was all recent stuff, so they're not only making the most popular, but calibers that you could go a lifetime without seeing a firearm chambered in if you don't look.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Here in Las Vegas, at the Gun Show a couple days ago...no line, not a lot of people attending, I did not look at Ammunition with any critical Eye, but, I do recall there was lots of various .22 Rim Fire, plenty of all the usual Hand Gun kinds, if a little thin maybe in variety far as better types of 50 Round Boxes when it came to Hollow Nose. So, mostly all Hard Ball.

Rifle Ammunition I did not glance toward while walking by, other than it seemed to be well-enough represented, if not in the HUGE Back side of the Table stacks of 'cases' which I recall from Shows a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
It's slowly coming back around here, but 22sare still hard to find at decent prices. Most ammo prices are pretty high. I see the ARs are coming back and at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Heck, if I'd thought about it, I'd have been glad to buy whatever Boxes or Cases of .22 anyone here Wanted, and, to ship it to them for cost.

I just have not been thinking about Ammunition...I have plenty, I Load/re-Load, and, I almost never buy any anyway.

The only Ammunition I have tended to look at, is either very 'Old' stuff, or, top of the line Hollow-Nose ( Black Talon or it's varied successors ) in .45 ACP and 9mm P-'08.

And, having a few boxes of each of the latter, I have not even looked at that in some years now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why is it that .22 are the hardest to find of any other caliber? I haven't recently heard of any mass murders being commited with .22's, so why are they so scarce? It seems that most of the killing is being done with the larger calibers. If somebody wanted the shooting of others to be minimized, wouldn't the larger calibers be scarce instead of the .22's?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
.22 is still the tough one around here in the Twin Cities. I haven't seen a Mini Mag since last year. Seems like every time I'm at the local gun counter, somebody asks for .22 or the phone rings with someone asking for .22.

I will say, however, that my local LGS has his glass cases STUFFED with black plastic pistols. A "sea of black". AR's are back in force and prices are back to normal.

I attended a small show a couple of weeks ago. It was actually kind of quiet. Attendance was moderate.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Why is it that .22 are the hardest to find of any other caliber? I haven't recently heard of any mass murders being commited with .22's, so why are they so scarce? It seems that most of the killing is being done with the larger calibers. If somebody wanted the shooting of others to be minimized, wouldn't the larger calibers be scarce instead of the .22's?
My thoughts are that along with being the most popular cartridge among everyday shooters, and being hoarded by them(aka us:)) the "doomsday preppies" are stockpiling 22lr ammo by the truckload, not only for future shooting/small game hunting, but as a prime barter commodity. I know fellows who shoot very little that have stockpiled many thousands of rounds of 22lr in past months. They think it will be better than gold in a monetary collapse.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seems all the LGS here in Kansas have plenty of guns, I was at the Gander Mountain in Wichita yesterday, nice supply of guns and nobody looking, I figure the reason for that was, they didn't have 20 boxes of pistol ammo total. Academy sports has decent amounts of ammo but the 22 LR is gone within 30 minutes of the store opening on the days they receive it

·
Registered
148 Posts
did anyone else get the email from hornady that they are suspending certain bullets for reloading and certain calibers of ammo? they didn't list what was being suspended, just that they were . they said the popular calibers is what they are concentrating on at this time. also said that rumors of pressure from the federal gov't was just that, rumors and not true. the suspensions were temporary and not permanent. also said the biggest downtime on the equipment is for changing tooling and can no longer justify that downtime when they could be producing something. to bad they don't make 22lr. if you want to read it, it's on their website.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.