Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how late the 1860 Army was issued? The 1873 Single Action Army was adopted in, I guess, 1873, but it would have taken time to produce enough to equip the Army.
Anyone know when the 1860 Army was finally completely eliminated and no longer issued at all?
 

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
Joined
·
15,070 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on Colt black powder or SAA revolvers, but I think that the Army had switched to cartridge conversions before the SAA was available.
So, based on that I'd think the 1860 in it's muzzle loader form was discontinued for most of the Army in the late 1860's.

Keep in mind that the military was loathe to discard any usable weapon.
As example the obsolete Colt New Army was still being issued to non-combat troops in 1918 and even later.
I've heard of these being issued as emergency weapons for non-combat in WWII.
With that in mind I'd bet the 1860 was still in some use into the mid or even later 1870's in some backwater post.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
955 Posts
The following is an answer I just posted in the SAA section for a similar question.

The book Colt Model 1860 by Pate states that most of the 1860 's were replaced by Colt SAA and S&W Schofields 1874-1875. Large disposal sales started in 1876. It is interesting that he found that only 15% of the 1860's were disposed of through formal disposal methods the other 85% are not accounted for. Another fact to consider is the size of the army. In 1876 28,000, 1877 24,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess with an army that small you wouldn't really need very many pistols, and a sufficient number could be made in a short time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
One thing to consider is not the guns themselves, but rather, would loose powder, caps and balls be available? In addition, would spare parts also be available and would armorers still have the ability to maintain them?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top