Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old SAA marked "Colt Frontier Six Shooter 44-40"It has the shortest forcing cone of any pistol or revolver I have ever seen. I was wondering if it was maybe rebarreled or something.Really it has a very slight taper on the end of the barrel about 1/16th of an inch.Also there are patches of burnt powder on each of the outsides of the chambers as tho the residue is landing there.Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.modoc

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
It's probably a re-barrel.

This is one of the problems when unqualified people do re-barrel jobs.
There is a tendency to think gun barrels are just pieces of threaded pipe that can be screwed on and off at will.

Most people never even think that something also has to be done at the rear.
Re-barrels also need to have the forcing cone cut to spec, and few non-qualified people even know about this.

I don't have my specs on SAA's but Colt "usually" used a 9% taper cutter for forcing cones.

However, the CRITICAL measurement on forcing cones is the outer mouth diameter.
The ONLY way forcing cones can be measured is with a special forcing cone gage.

These are available from Brownell's along with the special forcing cone cutter tooling.
Unfortunately, this tooling and gaging is EXPENSIVE.

If you decide to have the cone re-cut, be SURE the gunsmith has the gages and proper tooling.
If the cone is improperly, cut accuracy is ruined, and usually the barrel too.

Again, the outer mouth measurement of the cone is CRITICAL and the difference between too small and too big is relatively tiny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts