Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,148 Posts
As I recall Carol Wilkerson had some 32-20 SAA's for sale some years ago. I do not believe a very large volume of SAA's in this caliber were made in the 3rd gen.

·
Premium Member
19,148 Posts
I believe that a couple Colt Forum members own Colt 3rd gen SAA's in 32-20. I hope they can add more information.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have two 3rd gens in 32-20 my fav caliber for SAA as far as how many made I have no idea but I know rare.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am deciding on my first real Colt SAA to buy. Since I have a USFA .45 and a Uberti .44-40 I wanted something different and my first choice would be a 3rd Gen .32-20. I guess if they are super rare I might not wait and just get another caliber instead. Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a third generation 32-20 that I purchased from one of my wife's customers (a widow) - her husband bought it off-the-shelf at a large local gunshop (I will have to check the date, I think about 2011) - guns were his comfort the last couple years of his life. It was factory with a 5-1/2" barrel and he sent it off to CS to change to a 7-1/2" barrel and get Nutmeg Ivories installed. My first Colt SAA and started an addiction.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I checked and it is not a custom shop gun. B/cc 7 1/2 mid S49000A range.

Did a check on G.B. and G. I. and no 3rd gen. 32-20s to be seen.

Good luck in your search.

Take care, Duane

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
That 3rd Gen 7.5” 32-20 on GB was a very pretty SAA. For me, that is the perfect configuration for the caliber.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
sixguns said:
That 3rd Gen 7.5” 32-20 on GB was a very pretty SAA. For me, that is the perfect configuration for the caliber.
Elmer Keith thought so as well :) "Old Pop". Dixie has the Uberti version BP frame guns in stock in all three barrel lengths. 32-20 is also a great place to start your 1st Gen collection. Have yet to find a SAA in 32-20 from any maker that doesn't shoot!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JessBGuy that is interesting because I thought Colt was only making them .45 Colt and .357 Magnum, lately not even .357 Magnum. But I can just barely make out what appears to be a laser engraved S87xxxA serial number. That would definately be very recent production. Do you happen to know how much it sold for?

Cozmo I have been resisting the urge to get a Uberti .32-20 from Dixie. It's not that I don't appreciate them, I do, but I am on a mission to get a real Colt. I am also considering a 1st Gen .32-20 but I don't know if I have enough money to get one that is in the condition I want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
JessBGuy that is interesting because I thought Colt was only making them .45 Colt and .357 Magnum, lately not even .357 Magnum. But I can just barely make out what appears to be a laser engraved S87xxxA serial number. That would definately be very recent production. Do you happen to know how much it sold for?
The QR code on that gun shows that it is a Model P1540, Serial # S87091A, dated 8/9/2019. Looks like they must have made some recently.

·
Premium Member
19,148 Posts
It is odd that members want 'new' 3rd gen 32-20's when the 1st gen 32-20's seem to be quite plentiful in my area and they are the least sought after. They remain the 'red-headed step-child' of SAA's.
Try buying a 1st gen 32-20 and if it has problems, send it to Jim Martin or Lever Action Bill and let them get it working properly.
If your issue is you want it to 'be like new' send a 1st gen 32-20 to Dave Lanara and he can make it like new again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
While I love my pair of 1st gen 32-20 SAAs and wouldn't trade them for anything, well ok, maybe a real good 44 or 45 or 41, I recently picked up (stole at $730) a refinished 1st gen 32 with a bad bore. It is currently wearing a 44 caliber barrel and a 44-40 cylinder while I try to figure out what I did with my old 44 special cylinder to add to it. I could've just put a good 32 WCF barrel on it but wanted make it a 44 Colt gun. By using a 44 spec cylinder I get the best of both worlds and a gun that will fire 44 WCF, 44 Special, 44 Colt (modern) and 44 Russian. So the first gen 32s are out there and yes, Southgate, mine was mad it wasn't a 44; I am working on making it very happy.😁

1 - 20 of 29 Posts