Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.i hope this is the right thread. on another forum about bamboo fishing rods, i commented that there were millions of winchester collectors taking into account all winchester owners who had more than two winnies. would any of you out there speculate in your opinion the number of similar colt owners who could be considered as collectors at least in their own minds? thanks for consideration, and yes i was taken to task for a ridiculous comment.
regards, bro

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Maybe someone around here has some hard statistics you can refer to, but I honestly don't know how you could possibly know how many Colt collectors there are out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK, so maybe I was a little terse at first. What is your real question? What is the ultimate objective you are seeking? There is an old engineering axiom: "When you don't know where you are going, there are many good ways to get there." And without some level of bounds on your rather open-ended question, "How will you know when to stop?"

A Collector of Colt Stuff is not necessarily the same as an individual with a collection of Colt stuff. Especially when the universe of Colt stuff is so large.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so maybe I was a little terse at first. What is your real question? What is the ultimate objective you are seeking? There is an old engineering axiom: "When you don't know where you are going, there are many good ways to get there." And without some level of bounds on your rather open-ended question, "How will you know when to stop?"

A Collector of Colt Stuff is not necessarily the same as an individual with a collection of Colt stuff. Especially when the universe of Colt stuff is so large.
my real question is purely curiosity and homebound cabin fever. i have not been to town in twelve months. i mean an individual with colt stuff. it was an idle question, but i am still a little miffed about the reaction to my winnie comment which might have been a little bit optinistic. thanks for the reply.

regards, bro

·
Registered
60 Posts
I didn't want to get into the Zen of collecting, but Colt stuff is, at the end of the day, just tools. Like having six sets of socket wrenches does not make me a Snap-On Tool Collector. However, there are those of us who see something else in Colt Stuff - like its history or art or whatever. We want to own and study them for something more to us personally than their utility as just tools. A fair assumption would be that most members of this Colt collector Forum would self-identify as Colt Collectors rather than gatherers of Colt stuff.
So asking the members of this forum, or the members of the bamboo rod collector forum, what they think about their respective stuff collecting will give you a very biased view of the subject. One that cannot realistically be used to extrapolate the universe of Colt stuff or bamboo rods or Winchester stuff.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't want to get into the Zen of collecting, but Colt stuff is, at the end of the day, just tools. Like having six sets of socket wrenches does not make me a Snap-On Tool Collector. However, there are those of us who see something else in Colt Stuff - like its history or art or whatever. We want to own and study them for something more to us personally than their utility as just tools. A fair assumption would be that most members of this Colt collector Forum would self-identify as Colt Collectors rather than gatherers of Colt stuff.
So asking the members of this forum, or the members of the bamboo rod collector forum, what they think about their respective stuff collecting will give you a very biased view of the subject. One that cannot realistically be used to extrapolate the universe of Colt stuff or bamboo rods or Winchester stuff.
what you say is true, but most folks do not know or care about any of these. now, a Jackson pollock tr3 painting - they know. but, I am still curious, when does the line get crossed, from a person with colt stuff to a "collector"? btw, six sets of mopar gold socket sets might be considered a collection.

thanks, regards, bro

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I may have spoken to quickly, the fly fishers I know are all in on vintage Heddon and Payne's Perhaps fewer but rabid :)
yes, I am a small timer. I only have three paynes and seven heddons but I do shepherd about thirty f e Thomas which are my favorites. don't want to make this a bamboo thread tho . . .thanks, regards. bro

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
You become a collector when the quality (not quantity) of what you acquire reaches a certain level. I'm at the accumulator level at the moment, some good stuff, some average stuff, no junk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A quantifiable definition of "Collector" can be extremely difficult for us mortals to determine. It's all too subjective.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,384 Posts
There's no way to even estimate because most collectors of anything seldom go public about it.
Collectors tend to be pretty private, especially when it comes to guns or high end art or coin collecting.
As example there are a number of very anti-gun Hollywood people who collect guns, including full-auto.
They keep that very close to their chest to protect their Leftist reputations.

As for collecting Colt's, Colt firearms are the most collected guns in the world, far more then any other firearm.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts