Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to get an all original average condition hammerless colt 1908 in 38. Average condition. Everything is intact and functions properly. 1 original.

Serial number 357.

Thanks.

Manny

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a type 1. Ill hopefully get some tomorrow. All bluing is gone but everythingnis original. Guy was asking $1095 and went down to $950 after I offered him $915 as that is all I had on me. I walked away after telling that is all I had.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning if i purchase it to shoot it and eventually even leave it original or having it totally restored.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
There are better ones out there - and more fairly priced, too - look at any of the gun auction sites for a couple of months to see what they sell for...

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
It is a type 1. Ill hopefully get some tomorrow. All bluing is gone but everythingnis original. Guy was asking $1095 and went down to $950 after I offered him $915 as that is all I had on me. I walked away after telling that is all I had.
There is NO type I M1908 380's....
They start with Type II in 1908
Serial number 357 would be a neat gun to have JMO

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just started researching them. I know when to walk away.

Other dealer had tons of rare colts and i asked to see them. He was busy and I left after 5 minutes. I came back.as I was leaving and told him I waited and you never came to help me.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Buy books.

Actually read them

Attend the better shows and travel if you must, so you can view nice examples.

Figure out who the honest dealers are and let them know that you're serious - be respectful of them and of their available time and never interrupt - pick the down time during a show to ask their advice and opinion - be humble - if they like you and determine that you're not a feather merchant, they can not only act as mentors, but can point you towards a good deal.

Go slowly - they never made just one of anything, so learn your field before you commit money, and remember that this is an expensive game, played by 'Big Boy's Rules', so the other guy expects you to know your business and behave like a gentleman.

Buy more books.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Dogface & ei8ht have summed it up nicely.
I am likely to go the bigger $ on a type II .380 model M.
There were only 6250 of those made.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Reactions: 72CZ
1 - 20 of 24 Posts