Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this 1889 Colt SAA in a lucky trade recently. It is chambered in 38-40, and it's my first SAA. The positive qualities: it is still functional with original parts, and it can be fired. Also, there is minimal pitting, which I would imagine is great for a 132 year old gun. The negative qualities: Here's what I know. The notches on the underside of the hammer seem to be a bit rounded down from use, the cylinder lock is practically worn flat (not entirely, though), and the bolt screw head (not the entire screw) is missing. It looks like someone "cleaned up" the finish -probably rust-covered - years ago with a file, so any original markings with the exception of patent markings have vanished. The serial still lives on, beneath the grips (which are second gen, not original). The cylinder seems to be the only thing left with a hint of blueing, and the entire piece has a definite patina to it. So, I'm curious. What is my Colt SAA worth in today's market? (( If the previous owner is reading this post, I am ecstatic to have this piece, and I'm thankful you reached out to trade. ))

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,915 Posts
You're going to need to post detailed pics to get any kind of valuation. Side ( both ) closeups, top, bottom, cylinder out of gun, serial number locations ( should be 3 visible without removing grips) Frame, TG, and bottom of backstrap. Also pics of inside of frame with cylinder out. One curious thing you said was serial numbers were under the grips, first gen guns have visible serial that are seen in the 3 places I mentioned above.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
By what you have posted already in another thread you have "parts" gun, with plastic grips, in a non working condition. Worth? $1000 or less. I'd want to make a very close inspection before I'd even offer $200. Armi San Marco comes to mind off hand.

"The serial still lives on, beneath the grips". Those are just parts that were added to make up a gun. On closer inspection of the photo I'd guess it is not a Colt at all.

It is BP frame, so either early 1st Gen frame or an Italian clone that was antiqued. Likely a fake Colt with some poorly fit parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like some more detailed pictures are in order, to skip conjecture and be sure. Thanks for your inputs so far, I'll post more pictures shortly to hopefully aid in getting a more dialed-in assessment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll let the experts chime in but it sure doesn't look like any Colt Ive ever seen. Where is the bolt screw? I see lots of issues.
Good observation on the bolt screw. As I mentioned in the original post, the head of the bolt screw appears to have been removed by accident or negligence. the screw is in the revolver, but the head is detached. I have listed other issues in the original post as well.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The lack of a frame serial number is very troubling to me. The only serial number visible is the TG which is sometime in 1887, so where the suggestion that this gun is an 1874 is also puzzling. Gun appears to be a parts gun, could be a very fine shooter but has no collector value.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The lack of a frame serial number is very troubling to me. The only serial number visible is the TG which is sometime in 1887, so where the suggestion that this gun is an 1874 is also puzzling. Gun appears to be a parts gun, could be a very fine shooter but has no collector value.
I [incorrectly] suggested in a seperate post it was an 1874, but a quick serial number check indicates an 1889 serial. I am curious, what draws you to the conclusion that it is a parts gun? I'm new to these guns and would love to learn what you're seeing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
No matching serial numbers.The frame is missing a screw ( should be 3, not 2.) and the missing serial number on frame suggest a copy, not Colt. Also the serial number under the grip is a little suspect, 1st gen guns have the TG serial number forward of trigger bow on the outside, there would be no need to remove grips to see it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The serial number on the back strap looks newly applied to me. Makes me wonder what happened to the number on the frame. I always wonder if the piece could of been stolen years ago or did someone just remove it in preparation to refinish it? Don't get me know I like the piece but don't believe it's a collectors piece by any means.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
No matching serial numbers.The frame is missing a screw ( should be 3, not 2.) and the missing serial number on frame suggest a copy, not Colt. Also the serial number under the grip is a little suspect, 1st gen guns have the TG serial number forward of trigger bow on the outside, there would be no need to remove grips to see it.
This and the only part that could be a Colt part is the main spring.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.