Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on much is a fair price for the following:

Colt SAA .45, 7 1/2" barrel, 98-99% and probably unfired; blue/hard cased colored. No box or papers.
Third generation. S/N range SA20,000.

Any help would be appreciated as opportunity to purchase will be early next week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
new ffl dealer price last summer from colt was 975, i believe tax would be extra about 11 percent.. no box, i would go for that price.. 900-1050. the reason you dont pay full retail is becouse of the chance of theft, changed parts unforseen damage, etc.. my opinion only.. i would stick to the lower end unless you just cant live without it.. they dont come around every day but patience is the key to good deals..call your local police station and run the serials number before you buy.. good luck dave..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dave, and good advice. Maybe a little more information may help with what you or anyone else might suggest:

The gun belongs to a good friend who bought it new back in 1982-83. He has had it since and I'm pretty sure never even fired it. Looks new.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if he takes it to a pawn shop hell take a real bath.. i know, i run one.. if he takes it to a gun show hell have to rent a table and sit there for three days probably 3 shows or more.. if he takes it to a gun dealer hell get less than ffl dealer price by a distance.. if he advertises in the paper hell be inviting every thief in the county into his home.. his best deal is to sell it to you.. if he wants a lot of money for it id pass, but that is me.. if you want a shooter why do you want to pay several hundred dollars more for a gun that hasnt been shot and still isnt 100 percent.?.. if you want to be fair to him get it appraised at two gun stores, and look in the blue book.. if you want a good deal ask the two stores what they will pay you for it.. if you want to be fair to both of you split the difference.. that will be your job to find the actual values, you cant fully appraise a gun without holding it, taking it apart and then shooting it if its a shooter.. they can be up to 8 inches off impact at 25 yards and that will cost you some if it has to be fixed.. one more thing, if there are drag marks where the bolt comes up to slide into the cylider goove for lock up,,,, id ask to shoot it first.. becouse its not going to reduce the value.. the drag marks show use, as much wear can be done dryfireing as shooting it. some times more.. my opinion only... .. .. . good luck dave.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun is closer to a 100% with $1,000 take home price.

What do you think? Is this a keeper at that price?

·
Registered
48 Posts
a new one would be im guessing at the store about 1200-1500. to buy new from factory with tax and shipping with ffl would be more than 1000 so im guessing it would be a fair deal if your going to shoot it.. as a collector it will be some time to gain value and your money would be better off in another investment.. i am not a good appraiser, and your asking the wrong guy. but second generation 95 percent, 1000 dollars 7 1/2 inch barrel i think would be a decent buy price.. you do not have a waranty remember but you did say close to 100 percent.. im going thru the same thing with getting a motor cycle right now.. all my advisors keep telling me not to get a bike with over 3000 miles and in perfect condition... but i keep finding these really neat bikes at low prices.. both colts and motorcycles are way cheaper to buy in excellent shape than to fix cheap ones up later..so ill have to wait until the right one comes along.. good luck dave.

·
Registered
48 Posts
a new one would be im guessing at the store about 1200-1500. to buy new from factory with tax and shipping with ffl would be more than 1000 so im guessing it would be a fair deal if your going to shoot it.. as a collector it will be some time to gain value and your money would be better off in another investment.. i am not a good appraiser, and your asking the wrong guy. but second generation 95 percent, 1000 dollars 7 1/2 inch barrel i think would be a decent buy price.. you do not have a waranty remember but you did say close to 100 percent.. im going thru the same thing with getting a motor cycle right now.. all my advisors keep telling me not to get a bike with over 3000 miles and in perfect condition... but i keep finding these really neat bikes at low prices.. both colts and motorcycles are way cheaper to buy in excellent shape than to fix cheap ones up later..so ill have to wait until the right one comes along.. good luck dave.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally, got a chance to handle the gun for close inspection today. I found that the gun appears to have been fired (very little) and probably a close 99% except a few little specks of rust showing on the hammer and backstrap (does that depreciate the percentage?). No box or papers.

Still considering what a fair price to be in current condition. Feel free to fire away with your opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts