Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much value would nice aged ivories add to a 1930's Police Positive?

Someone I know has one they want to sell and asked me about it. At this point, dont know if they are factory or after market, so values both ways would be good. Appear to be genuine ivory, and he did the hot pin test on them and everything.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
They look real to me, and have some nice age on them, at least as far as the pic shows. I'd guess $200, maybe $300 premium for the ivories. Police Positives don't take nearly as much ivory for stocks as larger guns. Plus, they aren't as hot a collectible as, say, a SAA or Python. The more material used and the more desirable the gun on its own merits, the more value ivories add to it.

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
Assuming no chips or cracks, I'd say around $300 in added value. If factory original more (think those are aftermarket). Those look nice and appear to be appropriately aged for the gun. Good looking old Colt revolver. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did Colt ever put factory ivory grips on this era PP? What is that above PP worth? Are there markings on the grips which would indicate that they are factory?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Colt would put factory ivory on any gun on which you ordered it. I'm not a factory ivory expert, but most factory ivory I've seen for Colt double actions have had medallions and the method of installation and staking is what gives them away as factory.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
You start seeing medallions in factory grips around 1911 and they were deep set or "deep dish" as some call them. By the early to mid 20's you see them flush with the grips. Here is a 1917 army special that I currently own.

Here is a pretty decent set of factory pearls for a police positive pre 1911 production. Defintely a factory style carving. Started at $495 and currently on GB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts