Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Colt SAA model P1850...Man she is a beauty! Thing is I'm a shooter not a collector and the manual states that firing the revolver will substantially decrease it's collector value. So how much are we talking about? Is the first shot like a 500.00 shot? There's quite a story behind the purchase of this Colt though the telling would bring a chorus of BS and hisses. No matter as she's mine now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
It'd be a several hundred dollar shot at least. I've imagined getting a brand new SAA .38-40 and taking it out and shooting the hooey out of it.

I could never own a gun I wouldn't shoot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Im new to this forum and the SAA though I too have always wanted to get one but they are prohibitively expensive. This particular gun was presented to me and the dollar that exchanged hands was for all intent a legal formality. I personally would never buy a gun I couldn't shoot and I am suprised the Colt manual relegates this pistol to collector status. I realize the design is dated but I don't want to go to my grave(someday)with a wall full of firearms I never fully enjoyed! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
I take it from the sound of it, this is one of the 'new ' reproductions? Late model gun? I never saw in any old manual where it said that firing the gun would hurt the value??
If it is a "commemerative" of sorts that would be understandable, and I would say "no", but most all others are made to "shoot & enjoy". Just don't ride it hard and put it away wet. Once cleaned properly and if all is working correctly, the gun should stay in excellent shape. Misuse, wear and tear and abuse, do all the 'damage'. Excessive (improper) handling also does a LOT of 'damage'.

I've seen "new" guns looking like 'crap' in no time, by 'mishandling'. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Starting at least as far back as the re-introduction of the Single Action in 1991, Colt had a notice with the gun that "even cocking" the revolver would reduce it's collectors value.

This was to insure buyers knew that the difference between a genuine new-in-the-box Single Action and a "used" gun was as little as a few cocking marks on the cylinder and hammer.

Many people just don't realize that to a collector NIB MEANS NIB.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Since you really don't care for owning NIB unfired guns why concern yourself over how much value it will lose when you shoot it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's an interesting question! I'm feeling a sense of awe when I hold this pistol and the manual set me back a notch with it's opening statement. It reads..verbatim..."Page 1 THIS IS A COLLECTOR'S FIREARM
1.Loading and unloading this firearm will show wear and lead to loss of collector value.
2. Excessive handling will lead to premature wear and cause loss of value.
3. Firing this revolver will cause immediate extreme loss of collector's value."
It just sounds odd that these statement are used to describe a peacemaker. Hell I'll shoot the gun I was curious what your opionions were. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...OK...yeah I know..poor boy got a Colt given to him and he's wish-wasin about rather to shoot it or not...makes me sick...So I'll shoot it...already picked up some ammo...egad! 32.00 OTD...I shoot it..but not much! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts