Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got this 1911 from my grandfather. He bought it 40 yrs ago from a friend. He believed it was built in the 30s or 40s...the serial number, however, seems to put it right at the beginning of production. Oh, and then there's the troublesome "X" prefix. I've been told this could be a re-stamp from sandblasting making the original serial illegible. Anyone know what i've got here?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
X serial numbered 1911's were usually renumbered Arsenal Rebuilds. What is the X serial number? Pictures would help a lot. Welcome to the Forum..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The serial # is "X 2315". I'm having some trouble adding photos, but I will as soon as I can. Also, the last patent date listed on the slide is February 14, 1911.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Again, If you post pictures you will get all the answers you are looking for. If the S/N is 2315 with the last patent date of 1911, then it is a 1912 Colt, but pictures are needed because of the "X"

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Trouble with your X pistol is you have to be able to prove to the ATF (should this come to their attention) that the X was added to the pistol by a controlling authority like a US Military Overhaul Depot or a Manufacturer. That would be proven by you having a receipt (with the X serial number showing on it) from DCM or a US Military sales to to a soldier receipt. Otherwise you must send the pisol to ATF and they will make a determination. If it was done by an proper agency they will give you the gun back with a paper of authenticity. If they determine it was an altered serial number they will confiscate and destroy the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts