Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ten, and it was a Colt Diamondback in .38spl, Royal Blue, 4in. BEaUTIFuL! I sat and looked at it daily for a long time and when I shot it I loved it even more. I wish I still had it. I mowed lawns for an entire Summer to save the money to buy it in the summer of 1968. I had a couple guns before it which were a Marlin golden 39A, and a Wards 410 single shot shotgun.....loved those too!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think I was around 12 years old when my parents gave me a CVA black powder single shot kit for Christmas. Still have it after 40 years. My first real pistol I bought when I turned 18 was a replica 1860 Army, my all time favorite.

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nineteen or twenty. I was stationed in France with the USAF. A buddy of mine was into guns so we went to the nearest Air Force Base that had a Rod & Gun Club. I picked up a S&W 22/32 Kit gun (Model 34 or something like that). Small (J Frame?) with 4" barrel.

About 4 years later I traded it to the same "buddy" for a Single Six. I liked the Six much better.

However, I now see the prices of the Kit Gun!!!!!!!! Should have kept it:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
My first handgun?

I was 18 when I bought a used Colt New Frontier .22 from a buddy of mine. Still have the Colt and it still shoots great.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I got a H&R 949 .22 for Christmas when I was 12.

On my 21st birthday,I went to a gun store & bought a Charter Arms .38 just because I could .....!!! :)

Both are long gone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Fourteen. Saved money and talked my Mom into making the purchase. Went to a place called Lee's that boasted the largest inventory of S&Ws in NC with the intention of aquiring a 4" M-18. None were to be had so settled on a 4" nickle Kit Gun with the square butt. Later added J-frame target stocks and got a Roy Baker Pancake holster for it. Still have it and use it. Still the go-to gun for provided initial revolver traing to others and still a great little revolver to take camping and canoeing.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was 11 when my father bought me a Colt New Service in 45 Colt for my birthday. He paid $30 for it from Abercrombie & Fitch (VL&A) in Chicago, that was in 1957. What a different world back then, my first rifle a year later was a Winchester 73 in 44WCF for $40.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was 19 and the first handgun I ever owned was a Ruger Bearcat, bought new at Grant's 5&10 for $39.95. I still have it and it has taught many little hands how to shoot a handgun.

·
Administrator
7,118 Posts
I was 12 . Got a Navy Arms Rolling Block 22LR for Christmas . I was 14 when I bought my first with my own money (summer hay baling job $2hr) , Remington Rand 1911A1 .

Sadly , I don't have either today :(

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was 14. My brother offered to buy me a gun for my 8th grade graduation present, and I had a choice between a Kentuky pistol or a Lyman 1858 Remington cap-and-ball. I liked the stainless 1858 cased set I saw in the ads, so I paid the difference with my paper route money and had it in hand that summer of 1978. Still have it...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted the Python when I got the Diamondback, but since it was a whopping $40.00 more, I bought the DB! I bought it new from a grocery store in Albuquerque that had not only a sporting goods section, but a gun shop! They were called Furrs Grocery store on the corner of Candelaria and Juan Tabo here in Albuquerque!

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I think I was about 12. My Dad had a drawer full of old revolvers in the attic. He considered most of it junk so he gave me an old Hopkins and Allen "Forehand DA". Its still at his house though. He never intended for me to shoot it and I think I only did once with some black powder reloads I made.
My first good gun was the Merwin Hulbert he gave me after that. Then my first modern gun was his "Victory Model" S&W .38 SPL. I still have those and will as long as I'm around.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My first as a young teenager was a replica Colt 1851 Navy. One day soon after getting it, a police officer asked me if I had one. I said yes and he asked to see it. I got it out of my dad's truck and showed it to him. He asked if I would sell it and I said no. I asked what he had in his holster and he showed me a model 10 38. I offered to trade, he scratched his head, and said o.k.. I handed him the navy and he struck it in his holster and walked off leaving me an empty model 10.

Joe A.

·
Registered
932 Posts
How old

I bought a Colt New Pocket at a gun store
in Albequerque when I was 14 but it
needed work. My father gave me a nickel
High Standard Double Nine when I was 15
& my best friend's father gave me
this when I turned 16. The New
Pocket is long gone but I still have the
Double Nine & still shoot this one regularly.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am so jealous of some of you guys, my folks were not against guns. Dad thought all we needed was his Monkey wards 12 gage pump. When I turned 18 and got a full time job that summer that all changed. When I had the money he went with me to local bait shop and I left with a German .22 Buffalo Scout. Shot if most weekends for years till it became part of a trade for a S&W Victory Model 10.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
This Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special was acquired on December 12, 1975 as a used gun when I was 18. I've been trying hard to wear it completely out ever since and it just won't die. I have gobs of handguns of all sorts yet this is the one I most often reach for when the going gets tough. It has spent a lot of time in a belt holster, accompanying my rifle in the hunting fields and also in the wader's chest pocket in the duck slough. It's been wet, sandy, muddy, gravely, full of feathers, bloody, dropped, overloaded, and fired tens of thousands of times. It has effectively taken a couple of whitetail deer. Ruger and their tired old cliche "built like a tank" pale in the face of this revolver. After 34 years of heavy use with no gunsmithing required, I finally put a shim in it to take up end-shake. It is still (just barely) in time, shoots where it looks, and can make little bitty groups with good ammunition. It is still shot on a regular basis, occasionally some marathon sessions. Wonder if it'll go 33 more years?

Sorry for the testimonial.

My brother-in-law and I are showing our side arms after a Browning designed auto-loading shotgun hunt. We're pointing to his tiny Beretta .22 automatic which he used to stop a swimming cripple at 40 yards.

330 yard rock busting with .38 Special. Mostly a hopeless endeavor.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts