Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I guess I was lucky, I got my First pistol at age 7, which had to be hidden from my mother's side Grandfather because he was in politics and wanted to ban handguns back in the 70's. It was owned by my Grandfathers on my Father’s side, and was said to have killed a lot of deer back in the 30's do to the starvation created by the drought. It is a .22 Colt Woodsman 1st Series born on 1930. It is outfitted with Bullseye Elephant Ear stocks. Luckily I still have it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was in my mid-30s. When the coyotes started showing up around the house my father-in-law gave me his old Remington 12 gauge. Pretty soon after that, he started giving guns left and right, including the S&W victory revolver his father gave him back in the fifties, his Gold Cup, and a slew of other guns including a couple that had belonged to his father. I've steadily added to the collection and look forward to one day passing along what he gave me, and some of the ones I've added, to my daughters some time down the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I will add that I am surprised that my parents allowed me to even have guns especially since both were bleeding heart liberals even back in the 70s. My dad was a pilot who flew 4 tours in Viet Nam too, he flew two in rotary wing and two fixed wing, flew Mohawks. He never seemed like a liberal till he talked about politics....I am lucky i got any guns when I was a kid! My dad also after about 1973 or so ever even owned another gun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Got my first, a Ruger Standard .22 auto, the day after I was 18 (even in the 1950s there was a minimum age in CA). When my grandmother saw me cleaning it, she dug out my grandfather's "spare" Colt, an Old Model NS in .44-40 with a 4 1/2" barrel and gave it to me.

(My grandfather never carried anything but a 1911 after the Meuse-Argonne spat in WWI; the NS he'd loaned to his segundo, who returned it to my grandmother when my grandfather died. I still have it. It was factory refinished and upgraded to coil springs, a flexible firing pin, and hammer block safety in 1920. Still shoots great.).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
"...was soon returned to the gunshop and replaced by another single shot .22 rifle, a Mossberg M-49 lever action. The M-49 was really a falling block design, but it was designed cosmetically to look more or less like a Winchester lever action, and was sized for a child."

charlene, are sure this isn't an Ithaca? My first gun was a M49 Ithaca .22 LR. It's sitting in the safe as I type.
you are right, it is an ithaca m-49. I don't know why I had mossberg in my head.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i was 20 and i was a colt det.sp.snub...cannot for the life of me remember who i sold it to...shortly after i bought a S&W M10 snub...i was 21...sev.years ago i gave it to my son for his 21st birthday...still looks and shoots good

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I was 16 and bought an old Argentine 45 ACP. I know, probably not the best thing for a beginner but I loved it even though I didn't shoot it worth a darn.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Got my first, a Ruger Standard .22 auto, the day after I was 18 (even in the 1950s there was a minimum age in CA). When my grandmother saw me cleaning it, she dug out my grandfather's "spare" Colt, an Old Model NS in .44-40 with a 4 1/2" barrel and gave it to me.

(My grandfather never carried anything but a 1911 after the Meuse-Argonne spat in WWI; the NS he'd loaned to his segundo, who returned it to my grandmother when my grandfather died. I still have it. It was factory refinished and upgraded to coil springs, a flexible firing pin, and hammer block safety in 1920. Still shoots great.).
Mike, I would love to see a photo of that New Service!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
22 or 23 - Ruger Super Bearcat, still have it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My Dad bought me a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag for Christmas when I was 17. When I graduated from High School I asked for a Colt .45, and we ended up buying a Colt Series 70 MKIV. This gun I still have. The Ruger .44 was stolen years ago.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm...

For me? I was 8 years old. I was given a brand new Italian made, reproduction Colt Navy pistol from my dad. It gave me a great appreciation of firearms. Not to mention, muzzleloaders in general.

·
Banned
396 Posts
11 and it was a 70's Colt service model ace. Jammed like crazy but I did not know much about gun maintenance back then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow ! You guys had some nice (big bore) handguns at an early age.
I bought my first handgun at age 18. It was a High Standard "The Marshall" which was kind of an economy model Double Nine. (.22 LR) Paid $60 for it.
Kept it about a year and sold it to a friend to help fund the purchase of a Smith and Wesson Model 17. Paid $145 new for it. This was in 1975. I had wanted one since I was a little kid after seeing my uncle's. I still have it, thank goodness.
It brings back memories to see where some of you guys bought your guns - Grants, Woolworth's, Montgomery Wards, Sears. Seems like everybody used to sell guns, even Western Auto had a fine selection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
An old fart already - 32 or 33. Crappy Walther PPK-S from the early '90s which jammed way too frequently.

Heavy + .380 = nonsense

Actually, my second purchase wasn't much better - an early S&W .40 Cal semiauto. Both of those pistols are long gone though, and I've learned a few things...

·
Registered
25 Posts
16-

I had my dad buy me a Colt New Frontier .22-.22Mag short barrel revolver. It was used, but gently. It had both cylinders and came with the box; beautiful case-hardening, adjustable sights. I think I paid $165-$175 for it in 1986.

It has long ago been traded off. Oh, the tragedy of it all.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
fifteen or sixteen? I actually was 'given' three by my dad... A Beretta U22 Neos, OM Blackhawk and a Llama .45 over the course of the following weekend I shot every single .22lr, .38special, .357 mag and .45ACP in our house. I cringe at how much that probably cost him... He was not pleased. I lost my centerfire rights for a few months thus leading to my .22lr addiction since I couldn't buy pistol rounds.

Little did he know his love for firearms would pale in comparison to what I have become. :D I just turned 24. this year and I managed a roughly 1 pistol a month average... Except the prices keep getting more any more every time.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts