Colt Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Handgun? If I remember right, (for some reason memory of those years is a little fuzzy) my very first handgun was a .357 Iver Johnson that I bought from a buddy when I was 18. I didn't like it much and sold it soon after.

I then bought a brand new Colt MKIV Series 70 Gov Mod for $215 and yes I still have it and it is BY FAR my most prized gun. Not the most expensive but the one that would never part with. I remember the Gold Cup was about $40 more which put it out of reach at the time.

About the same time I bought a new S&W Mod 63 Kit Gun that I still have and is 99% as important to me as the .45.

I remember a few others that came and went and of course I regret ever selling but they just weren't as important as the others I think because they were used. A Colt Woodsman is sure one I wish I had back.

I'm glad the time when I was willing to sell any of them didn't last long. Since then the safe fills up, so get another safe!

I can tell a lot of us are about the same age? 1959 here.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bought a Blue 6" Python on my 21st birthday('83). Sold it a few years later... Just bought a 6" stainless last week... Hunting for a late 50's early 60's now
Steve

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well I think I got most of you beat. I was 43. Shameful I know but I am doing my best to catch-up. flanman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy

When I was growing up, I really wanted to have a handgun, but a license was required in New Jersey, and you had to be 21 to get a license. Then I found out there was a loophole for Cap & Ball revolvers, you only had to be 18. So on my 18th birthday I borrowed my Dad's car and drove down to the Navy Arms showroom, which was only about 20 miles from where I grew up.

If I remember correctly I paid $40 for a 44 cal brass framed copy of a Colt Navy. I don't remember where I was able to get my hands on Black Powder and caps, but I did. Don't remember where I used to shoot it either, since it was all suburbia where I lived, but I must have shot it somewhere. I did bring it to college with me in rural New York state and used to go out in the woods to shoot it.

That was over 40 years ago and I still have that pistol, although I managed to stretch the brass frame over time with two many heavy loads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My dad game me this Tanfoglio .22/.22 mag for my birthday when I turned 12. That was 30 years ago and has taught my oldest son to shoot a pistol and will be used to teach my youngest this spring.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think I was about 9. My dad and I were cleaning out the safe and I came across this old S&W 4th Model Top Break in .38 S&W. The cylinder was out of place and kept the latch from closing. Dad said it belonged to my Great-Great Uncle who was a police officer back in the 1920s. He told me if I could fix it I could have it. I still shoot it occasionally, but its just about out of time now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
In my initial post in this thread I forgot to say what guns I had purchased first.

Handgun, 21 years old. I had shot handguns long before this but they weren't mine. Geez, that's almost 40 years ago.

Rifle, 12 years old.

ETA: The handgun was a Model 10 S&W that I since gave to a friend years ago. The rifle was a .22lr marlin bolt action (Model 60 IIRC, gave that one to another friend years ago also.)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sixteen. Wanted a Python in the worst way. Working part time while in high school, it just wasn't gonna happen. Ended up with a 4" Lawman MK III .357 (which I still have.) Bought my first Python 7 years later and used it as a duty gun.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
At 10 or 12, people across the street moved out after generations there. Whenever someone moved, kids always went scavenging. Under the house was a wash tub of mostly kitchen stuff they had been discarding for decades. After a number eggbeaters, can openers, wore-out knives, etc. I found a little .32 S&W topbreak SA with birdhead handle. In about 30% condition, it was the greated event in my young life. Now maybe 75 years later, back down memory lane it still glows.

Eventually some other kid stole it

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I think I was about 12. I had no interest in guns really until that point then the floodgates opened when I discovered the drawer full of old cheap handguns my Dad had in the attic. He kept the good stuff in his den.
Anyway. He gave me this out of the drawer when I was 12. The compass goes back 7 or so generations I think. I forget the exact number but the initials of all of my great grandfathers are on the back.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
In 1958 I got a Daisy spring pump bb pistol that looks like a Smith and Wesson model 41. I had other bb guns but needed that one!! Still have it. I was 8.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was 21 years of age, and graduating the Police Academy for the Plainfield Police Department, in New Jersey. My parents bought me a Smith model 60 for a graduation present. That was the first gun that I ever owned, other then the department issued piece.

Of course in did not have the stag stocks, or all of the character it has now having been carried for over 25 years but I still carry that gun today. I have bought and sold many guns in my life but this one will never leave my hand. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
In about 1976, at age 24, I purchased a Ruger Security Six in .357 magnum, blue, 6" barrel for about $99.99, because I could not afford the Colt Trooper or Diamondback for around $139.

The Hillside Strangler was kidnapping, raping and killing women in my neighborhood in liberal Hollywood at that time.

The Hillside Strangler woke me up one morning around 3 am. I felt an evil presense, and clearly saw him peering through the window at my wife and me in bed, perhaps trying to decide if my wife would be his next victim. The man I saw looking through the window from only a few feet away from us was later convicted of several of the killings. I screamed something at him, and he ran away. The next day, I bought a Mossberg pump shotgun, and kept it on a gun rack mounted to the headboard of the waterbed.

I still have the Ruger, but it is lonely and feels unloved and ignored among the Colts.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts