Colt Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was 18, Summer of 97 after highschool (stop laughing). it was some real cheap no name .22 auto I shot it so much I wore the spring out (cheap gun) I took it to a gunsmith who i thought he new what he was doing.....and he replaced the spring with a guage too thick...gun would not eject spent brass...took gun back to him. he put the old spring back in and said that he could not fix it. So i sold it cheap $100 to some old co-worker. I dont miss that junk at all.

Later I collected enough copper to sell that i bought a ruger p345 from a pawnshop for $325. wish I still had that one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In about 1976, at age 24, I purchased a Ruger Security Six in .357 magnum, blue, 6" barrel for about $99.99, because I could not afford the Colt Trooper or Diamondback for around $139.

The Hillside Strangler was kidnapping, raping and killing women in my neighborhood in liberal Hollywood at that time.

The Hillside Strangler woke me up one morning around 3 am. I felt an evil presense, and clearly saw him peering through the window at my wife and me in bed, perhaps trying to decide if my wife would be his next victim. The man I saw looking through the window from only a few feet away from us was later convicted of several of the killings. I screamed something at him, and he ran away. The next day, I bought a Mossberg pump shotgun, and kept it on a gun rack mounted to the headboard of the waterbed.

I still have the Ruger, but it is lonely and feels unloved and ignored among the Colts.
Think of all the money you would have saved the public if you just shot the bastard!!.....neat story.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I am a late bloomer in the world of handguns.Got my pistol License and first gun,a S+W Model 10 4inch 38 revolver for 200 dollars @31.They are like Lays Potato chips,,,,Can't only have just one.....Mike

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
B.C., I did not know the guy was the Hillside Strangler until about 2 years later, when he was arrested and his picture was in the paper. He could have just been a peeping tom.

I do not think that a man staring through my window in the middle of the night is sufficient cause to kill the man. I was not in fear for my life.

Had I killed the Hillside Strangler, I would have saved the lives of several of his subsequent victims. And I would have gone to jail for murder.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I understand...It was just a thought. What a great story though. How your paths crossed and it took 2 years to know.....makes me wonder who I have met.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got sent to a fabulous 6 weeks summer camp WAY out in the desert. There were horses, but I came home with sharpshooter medals in rifle, archery, and a $40 bill for a daily snickers bar (<-- pudge). So much fun!!!!! We fired single-shot bolt action rifles. I think I was 12.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I think I was 14 or 15 when my Dad bought me my first handgun a Colt frontier scout .22. We used to go to the (open) town dump and shot rats at night . We had headlamps to spot them. He had a Colt woodsman and i had the frontier scout. Great fun. I also carried it on my trapline in my teenage years.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I was ten, and it was a Colt Diamondback in .38spl, Royal Blue, 4in. BEaUTIFuL! I sat and looked at it daily for a long time and when I shot it I loved it even more. I wish I still had it. I mowed lawns for an entire Summer to save the money to buy it in the summer of 1968. I had a couple guns before it which were a Marlin golden 39A, and a Wards 410 single shot shotgun.....loved those too!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do BB guns and air pistols count? Then about 9 I acquired. This was after selling seeds door to door for an entire summer to get a Daisy SSA BB gun .What a piece of s**t! It was FANTASTIC!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was eight yrs old and my dad gave me a Stevens .410 shtogun to go pheasant hunting with him. when I was ten, he gave me a high standard target model .22 with bull barrel. Both guns are still in my family - gave the shotgun to my #3 son and the .22 to my #4 son - on the promise that they would do the same when they had families.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I'm not sure. Probably between 25 and 30. I had wanted one long before that, but events just kept from getting one. When I did, it was a Smith & Wesson Model 19...probably a -4. I traded it off a couple of years later, beginning a long run of "guns I wish I still had."

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
When I was 13 or 14, I talked mom into buying me a pistol at an auction. An FIE SA .22 with fake ivories, 5.5 barrel (Colt lookalike). I loved that thing, but had to sell it while in college to pay bills. But I still have my grandfathers H&R Top-Break .22 DA 7 shot pistol with holster and cartridge belt, that I latched on to when I was 9 or 10. It's one (of many) that isn't for sale at any price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I received my first handgun at approximately age three. My Dad, found, and brought home, for me to play with, a small double barrelled, percussion handgun, the brand, caliber,etc. unknown. I had great fun playing with it until a neighborhood, teenage boy discovered that I had that little antique handgun, and persuaded me to let him hold it, and when I let him hold it he he refused to give it back to me, and he never did. I never again saw that little gun again. That's my true, sad story, about my first handgun that took place approximately 86 years ago.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My Dad and Uncle were big hunters and gave me a shotgun on my 16 birthday, Remington 1100. When I turned 18 I got a Remington 742 in 30-06.

But for some reason neither were into handguns, and did not encourage me in that direction.

So I needed to wait until I was 21 years old. 3 days after my birthday I purchased a Colt Lightweight Commander in 45ACP.

Of course I still have all 3! (Plus a few more I picked up along the way :cool:)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I was 16 when my father bought me a Ruger Super Single Six Convertible in 1982. Here is my 15 year-old son shooting it a few months ago.
20200717_150920.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
I joined the Navy when I was seventeen. My first owned handgun was purchased when I was nineteen and just back from Viet Nam in 1966.

My brother-in-law had a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. He had taken an elk with it the previous hunting season when the gun was new.

He let me shoot it and I fell in love with it. He was short on money and sold it to me for $80. I later sold it for $100 and thought I made a great deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Parents gave me a Herbert Schmidt 22 Caliber revolver for my 14th Birthday. I have shot it a lot. I still own it. Although it only cost $14.95 I still am very proud of it. I am now 71 years old.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was ten, and it was a Colt Diamondback in .38spl, Royal Blue, 4in. BEaUTIFuL! I sat and looked at it daily for a long time and when I shot it I loved it even more. I wish I still had it. I mowed lawns for an entire Summer to save the money to buy it in the summer of 1968. I had a couple guns before it which were a Marlin golden 39A, and a Wards 410 single shot shotgun.....loved those too!
Age 12. A broken down, worn out, old Colt 45 x 4-3/4", 1-piece walnut, in 122xxx range.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts