Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to guns. (The revolvers I do own are S&W.)The first time I saw a picture of a Python I fell in love! My gunshop has one sitting on a shelf and before I fondle it I wanted to know what specific things I should look for (or avoid)...I'm a bit nervous about buying a used gun due to my inexperience.
From what I have gathered here so far, serial number will tell me approx date of manufacture?
The revolver is, if I remember correctly, 4" nickle with the checkered wood grips.
Thank you in advance for your replies. I also wanted to ask is there a good, general book on revolvers (of all types) talking about makes, models, history, etc?
And where do you get your values?
Thank you again!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Gun values.

It's not easy at times.
There's a Blue Book of gun values. That's a good general rule of thumb to start with.
Then, you can scour the Firearm Auction sites of past auctions to see what type of values are coming out in the real world. Also years of dealing at gun shows would not hurt that line of expertise.
One problem is, gun show values tend to be inflated. So, you need to know what the gun actually sold or will sell for. (Not the asking price).
A lot of people tend to see a gun on someones table for an outrageous price and feel they should get the same money for their gun.
Not the case usually.
Some guns are easy to pin down a price with-in $25-$50. Others can very from state to state, auction to auction, show to show. These price can very in the hundreds or even thousands, depending on how rare and how bad someone wants a certain gun.
Hope that did not confuse you any more than you were.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hello whirlybird, welcome aboard.

I have run into the following link several times. Although the info within is not specific to the Python it is good basic info on buying a used handgun.

Since you said you are fairly new to guns, this would be a great place to increase your basic hand gun knowledge.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_handgun.htm

The author has taken a lot of time and care to help others in the hobby. His home page can be found here. Hope it helps.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will check out the links. The only handguns I have purchased have been NIB, so looking at used guns are a new experience for me. I passed on the particular Python I saw at the shop. I asked to see it today, and it it wasn't in the condition I would have paid for...maybe fine for a shooter, but not at THAT price!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whirlybird
I am new to this forum, but a long time serious gun collector, primarily dealing in long guns,,I have bought a new Blue book every year for the past 25 years, but back in 1995 I came across the Standard catalouge of firearms that is put out annually by Krause publications and I have found it a most valuable tool in the field of collecting, these are the same people that print the best weekly and monthly sale rags (gun list)that is widely circulated and read by those in the industry, it is a truly wonderfull book with thousands of photos, recent auction results, and input my some of the best names in their fields of expertise, such as jenks on S&W,taffin on old colts,ect,
there prices are from a national prospective, and reflect what they have seen within the last year,in the industry,
now i am not recieving a dime for this endorsment, but if i only had one book that I could buy, it would be the Standard catalouge of firearms, for about the same price of the blue book you get a mountain more research material, and information.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Whirlybird,
What was the price on the Python you saw? You do know they command premium prices. Even finish worn Pythons will sometimes be more expensive than like new models from other makers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Majic,
I understand that Pythons are pricey. The problem with this particular revolver was that it had 2 HUGE gouges on the crown of the barrel AND on the side of the frame. It looked as if the gun had been dropped and landed right on the crown then bounced and landed on the side. Dropped HARD on something hard and abrasive, like asphalt or gravel. The gun was priced at $629, which may or may not have been a fair price, but I myself am not going to buy a gun like that for any amount of money, as I would not have been happy with it even if it was strictly cosmetic (which I had no way of knowing)or damaged by whatever had happened to it.

[This message has been edited by Whirlybird (edited 03-11-2005).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts