Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Last year I caught the Colt Bug after buying a 1908 Vest Pocket, and then a 1903 Pocket Hammerless. I also got a LE6920 this summer! However I am trying to add a 1911 to the collection. I read all these great stories about estate sales and gun show pick ups by you guys and its really peaked my interest in Colts again! I prefer the early model of 1911 to the A1 and don't really care if it is a collectors piece (all matching etc). Something like this:
Gun Library: Colt 1911 U.S. ARMY .45 AUTO : Cabela's
Except for maybe just under 1000$
I've checked my local forums, here and arms list along with Cabelas used gun library but can't seem to find "The One" that fits all my criteria :/ any advice?
Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Talk to "chaosrob" Colt factory calls him when they run short on inventory.lol.....Just don't be in a hurry, check out GunBroker, m1911.org your local Armslist, gunsamerica.com and of course this site. You'll get one, also your local gun shows.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Don't know where you're located but I suggest that you go to gun shows, local gun shops and pawn shops in your area. Get to know the dealers and "regulars". Look at as many 1911's as you can and ask questions. "Knowledge is power". Be patient...The right one is bound to show up sooner or later. IMHO, buy the best you can afford. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think you have me mistaken for Marc at Keystone or maybe John Fugate. I'm a simple accumulator.

Talk to "chaosrob" Colt factory calls him when they run short on inventory.lol.....Just don't be in a hurry, check out GunBroker, m1911.org your local Armslist, gunsamerica.com and of course this site. You'll get one, also your local gun shows.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have a question about the OP's gun in the link. Is the slide stop a Remington umc. There is an AA mark to the left of slide stop. Don't know about the barrel and grips are not correct. Looks like it might be a ok buy......

·
Registered
518 Posts
Speaking of local gun shows and 1911s

I went to my local gun show today and like the originator of this thread I've had a hankering to purchase a 1911. Today at the gun show a gentleman had a series 70 45 acp from the mid-70s in great condition for $750. I walked away but am still considering going back tomorrow to see if it is still there and buying it. This gun has been lightly used and is probably in 95% condition. Very little wear other then a couple of scuffs here and there from handling. Is this a fair price and what are people's opinion of the Series 70 model and that era of this gun. Lots of others there as well Commanders and other but nothing this cheap although I believe the Series 70 is kind of the base model

Should I go back and buy it?

Dave

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
No, you should RUN back and buy it.
I went to my local gun show today and like the originator of this thread I've had a hankering to purchase a 1911. Today at the gun show a gentleman had a series 70 45 acp from the mid-70s in great condition for $750. I walked away but am still considering going back tomorrow to see if it is still there and buying it. This gun has been lightly used and is probably in 95% condition. Very little wear other then a couple of scuffs here and there from handling. Is this a fair price and what are people's opinion of the Series 70 model and that era of this gun. Lots of others there as well Commanders and other but nothing this cheap although I believe the Series 70 is kind of the base model

Should I go back and buy it?

Dave

·
Registered
223 Posts
...as has been stated...P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E. is the best plan. It will turn up.

When you get frustrated, take a break, step away, to load up, and go at it in earnest again.

Sooner or later you will be successful. It may be weeks, it may be a year or two. Sometimes five.

But along the way, you will learn a lot, and find out how to separate the wheat from the chaff, the flubbed up, and the overpriced, misrepresented junk.

Its an education. To see it as so is good. Most collectors here will tell you they are still learning.

Ive been pursuing my " black Trans -Am" for nearly a year in earnest. Three total, casually.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I agree about patience. You can have:

High Quality
Find one quickly
Low price

Pick any two only.

Can you find a bargain M1911? Certainly. Can you find one by the end of the month? Probably not. Will someone tell you where to go buy a super bargain? Probably not. On another forum I was asking opinions about another famous gun maker, because I found a guy that is selling his collection of same. I got a lot of great help, and advice on which to look for, as I visited the collector. But I also got a PM from a guy asking "if he has an XYZ for a good price, would you let me know?" Then he explained he'd wanted one for years, used to own one, etc. I said "I'm not sure my idea of a good price would you your idea, and I don't want to buy something for you, and have you decide you don't want to pay for it." He dithered on "well, I'd pay about $xyz, but it would have to be in mint condition...blah." Come on, I'm supposed to reveal my source, or buy something for someone and let them decide if they really want it, or were pulling my leg? End of story, but you can find a M1911, but you have to do it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You should have grabbed it for the 750. In today's market you will be lucky if the guy still has the gun at that price. One reason for the M1911 shortage is the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. The Biretta 9mm automatic has proved as ineffective as the Double Action .38 did in the Philippine Insurrection in 1903. A whole hell of a lot of our GI's sent home to have their kin folk send them M1911's and cartridges....to the extent that it caused a rise in the price of the M1911 and a shortage of the ammo.
Finally, the USMC literally told the DOD to stuff it and put a large order with Colt for an up-dated version of the M1911. The army followed soon after with a smaller order saying it was for their Special Forces.
Why is it that contemporary governmental officials refuse to learn from history - or is it that they have nongun people making the decisions as to which firearms to buy?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its the lowest bid wins, i would think that probably kept Colt out of it until a big ball of lead needed to be slung at the hopped up Muzzies to keep em down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.