Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doe anyone here know of a source on the Internet or a book where I could find the approximate year of manufacture of a Colt Detective special?

I wish somebody would make a Colt book similar to the S&W book by Jim Supica/Richard Nahas.

·
Registered
265 Posts
According to "Colt, An American Legend",
yours was made in 1942 - 1943,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 04-03-2004).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much thanks JCM298A!

I will have to look for the "Colt, An American Legend" book.

Mike

Indianapolis

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mike,since your Detective Special was made during WW II,are there any Military Markings on it,such as the "flaming bomb" on top of right frame,by the hammer? Military Detective Specials are considered rare & very collectable. Bud

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No bomb on frame.
I would have thought Colt would have stopped production of the Detective Special shortly after the WWII started?
Has a very small triangle on the left side of the frame just above the area where the trigger guard meets the frame.
Inside the frame below the SN is an M and below that an L.
So I was told, this gun belonged to a Vietnam vet that died recently.
The other gun was a beautiful Vietnam bring back Chinese Tokarev. Was told it was taken out of a crate in VN and it sure looked like it.

The quality of the machine work, such as the cross-hatching on trigger, hammer and and glare groves on top of the frame, is impressive. This gun has been carried quite a bit and has some holster wear and grip wear. Mechanically it is very tight. I like to buy guns that have been carried a lot and fired a little. I have a few S&Ws but am also very interested in older Colts from the 1930s to 1960s. The modern Colt & S&Ws revolvers are great firearms but the older ones have an air of old school quality about them. Old Colts are very hard to find in the gun shops here in Indianapolis. I was hunting for an old Police Positive when I bumped into this Det Spl and just couldn’t pass it up.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts