Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1903-32/with correct box. Paid the asking price and sent payment. I have a C&R which should have allowed the seller to ship the gun directly to me. Navada to Illinois. Seller insisted he could not ship directly as told by his FFL. I contacted ATF and they sent me an email which said it was perfectly legal to have seller ship direct, forwarded to seller. Seller ignored and continued to insist on using his FFL. Seller instructed me to contact his FFL and either fax or mail documents including money orders. I contacted the FFL who initially said he knew nothing about the gun or transfer however acknowledged knowing the seller and doing transfers for him said transfers were a "pain in the A.." for him to do. Quoted a $60 price to ship 2nd Day Air which include insurance $1200. I asked about using USPS as was indicated as the shipping mode in the auction, FFL's response was he "doesn't have time to run the post office" Also started to mention transfer costs and packaging costs, which I insisted were sellers responsibility. Seller emails ranting about why I sent documents to his FFL, I responded by saying that was his instructions to me, no response back. FFL acknowledges receipt of my C&R and money orders and Seller says gun would ship the next day, that was 6 days ago. In between I emailed and asked about shipment and was asked to be patient. Between Gunbroker, Ebay and NRA Auction, I have about 1000 transactions without posing a negative feedback on a single transaction. I do believe the gun will ship today, or tomorrow or ??

I did everything the Seller instructed me to do. His FFL just does not like doing transfers and simply does not look at economies (early on I told seller to find a more customer friendly FFL), waiting now 7 days after paying for 2nd Day Air. What kind of "Feedback" should I leave??

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I am under the impression that only another C & R holder or FFL can ship directly to a C & R holder, which is the intention of the C & R in the first place.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
It sounds like the seller AND many more of us are snowed with all the regulations and laws to where they feel to err on the safe side. His choice of the FFL he is using is the goat here, not so much the seller, in my view.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I don't believe that's true I think an unlicsensed person can ship to a C&R.
That is correct, and unlicensed person can ship directly to a licensee (C&R, 01 etc). As for the OP's dilemma, I get the impression that most of it could/should have been ironed out before the purchase. Just to play the devil's advocate, private sellers are often scared to death when it comes to shipping firearms, and many of them prefer to go through an FFL "just to make sure it's done right". Many times this is the economical way to go as well. An unlicensed person has to pay more for the shipping, and can't even use USPS (unless it's a long gun, I believe). Most carriers require overnight shipping to the tune of about $70-$80, but as a dealer I can stick a small pistol in a USPS flat rate box and mail it for $7.15 without any problems. Most dealers around here will ship a pistol like that for $25-$30, and that sure beats paying for overnight shipping.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
well i think the seller is being very cautious....but they also need to take care of the buyer instead of shirking off their responsibility to the LGS too...sounds like the Ebay of days old...slow shipping...i would contact them again before any feedback...and only leave feedback once u receive the firearm....people are funny and he could try and keep your firearm and the funds....i also like using USPS ...they are very easy to ship thru and i personally use them for my businesses and at my small home business too...so sorry u are having to deal with this....just to be clear...the hold up now is with the LGS?....seller dropped it off there?....i would have the seller get on their butt and help or find a different LGS to ship it...God Bless,John

Reactions: ei8ht and Hootch56

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Sadly some people do not want the hassle and pass it off to the LGS's

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
The first handgun I sold here years ago I shipped myself to buyer's FFL, cost me damn near $100. Everyone afterwards, I have used a friendly FFL and cost is down to $30-40 because they can use post office. It's not a matter of hassle, it's a matter of economy. UPS/FedEx have placed onerous restrictions on private parties attempting to do it on their own.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I personally have an issue with just sending a gun out. I want it out my name and best way to do it is through a dealer. That is for my security and peace of mind. As for the feed back issue at hand. Well, I feel that the seller is to blame. I am the seller and it is my responsibility to carry out my add to the T. If I state 2 day shipping then it should be so. Before I list anything I am going to make sure I have all the details worked out. I get paid, I cash check and after cash in hand, I will drive right over to my dealer and pay him his due and have the gun shipped. I don't promise 2 day shipment since I know my guy ships every Monday so that would depend on when the sale is completed and that would be discussed with the buyer. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Fortibus55

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The issue here was also the LGS who considered gun transfers "a pain in the a..", charged for 2nd day air then doesn't ship for 5 days, "too busy", then poorly packages and ends up damaging the original box.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The issue here was also the LGS who considered gun transfers "a pain in the a..", charged for 2nd day air then doesn't ship for 5 days, "too busy", then poorly packages and ends up damaging the original box.

Good point. Been there, had that happen.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's true, however it must be sent by common carrier not USPS and it must be sent overnight.
That the way I understand it. Also,the 1508 form I fill out as a FFL when sending a handgun does not show C&R for Recipient-or sender. I send C&R guns through my FedEx account cost more but I have seen nothing that says I can send USPS Handguns to C&R's.

https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

The undersigned is a manufacturer of firearms or bona fide dealer therein, and the parcels presented for mailing
herewith are customary trade shipments or other articles for repair or replacement of parts. To the best of my knowledge and belief, the addresses are manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The OP is asking about giving feedback on gunbroker or elsewhere, not about shipping.You can give a seller less than perfect feedback for whatever valid reason you want, but be aware that they can turn around and give you poor feedback just out of spite. They can even change good feedback that they already gave, and make it worse. So be careful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts