Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The top front of the frame near the barrel will be 'blockier' and more squared off / thicker compared to an older gun

On the .45 models there will often (always?) be slightly more spacing between 'SAA' and '.45' on the barrel rollmark

There will be an Elliason rear sight installed (although this same sight could be installed on older guns, it isn't common)

New Frontier case colors are all over the map for all eras of production, so not as good an indicator

This is a 'recent' production gun (2011 onwards):

This is an older production gun. Picture was found on this forum, thanks to the member who posted it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The top front of the frame near the barrel will be 'blockier' and more squared off / thicker compared to an older gun

On the .45 models there will be slightly more spacing between 'SAA' and '.45'

There will be an Elliason rear sight installed (although this same sight could be installed on older guns, it isn't common)

New Frontier case colors are all over the map for all eras of production, so not as good an indicator

So the photo is of a later New Frontier?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
One weird, but obvious difference is the “Colt New Frontier” markings.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are both New Frontiers pictured Third Generation, or is the one described as older (with less blocky front of frame) a Second Generation?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are both New Frontiers pictured Third Generation, or is the one described as older (with less blocky front of frame) a Second Generation?
I believe the older one is also a 3rd, but the 2nd gens also have a less blocky frame.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What years denote old vs new production? Mine is 1980.
53F63112-CD19-48A6-87E5-F9C717C14871.jpeg

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Frontier production resumed in 2011 and lasted for around 7 years I believe. That is the gun shown in the top picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts