Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do I do it? Is it that screw that is in the same place that accomplishes removal on Smiths?

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
m(--)m

·
Registered
535 Posts
Uh-oh ... I wasn't going to say anything for fear of sounding like an old lady, BUT ... I don't want to commit the sin of omission. I was told MANY times, years ago, DO NOT take out screws from Colt revolvers. S&W's - no sweat; they're made to do that. Colts, no. The side plate is not supposed to be removed unless you really know what you're doing. Now, if you do it anyway and little springs go flying iinto the next area code, well ... that's why we all save shoe boxes. Now, if you do it and nothing flies apart - LET ME KNOW! I'd love to clean my cylinder thoroughly, too! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnWnMe:
So how do I do it? Is it that screw that is in the same place that accomplishes removal on Smiths?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sideplate screw.

Screw immediately above and forward of the trigger on opposite side from cylinder realease latch.

------------------
Eternal vigilance is the price.....

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
From another post:

Removing the cylinder and crane assembly is not a major job, and no parts are going to go flying.
As above, the front "screw" on the right side of the frame is removed.
This is NOT actually a screw, it's a threaded cap.
Unscrew it carefully with a well fitting screwdriver, and underneath you'll find a spring and a small stud. Slip them out, and the cylinder and crane assembly can be slipped forward and off the frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with rcwambold, it is not really necessary to remove the cylinder for cleaning. I never mess with screws unless I have one loose and it needs tightening. Then again, some people say I always have a screw loose! HA HA

·
Registered
6 Posts
So how do you remove the extractor rod from the cyclinder, if you wanna clean that stuff up?

My cyclinder doesn't spin as free as at should.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts