Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if the barrel is user removable. This is a newer Python .357 believe it's 6" stainless with 3 vents on the top. I wanted to take it apart to clean it really good...

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is no need to take the barrel off to clean a Python. Without the proper tools, you'll probably destroy the gun.

Dfariswheel, where are you? This member needs your expert advice!

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Many good revolvers are ruined by improper barrel removal.

Barrel work is a gunsmith ONLY job, and that's a gunsmith with the fitted frame wrench and barrel vise inserts.

You still see references in gun books and magazines, (from people who SHOULD know better) about how to make up a set of wooden blocks to hold the barrel, then shoving a hammer handle through the frame and "Twisting 'er off".

This will spring or bend the frame, and often cracks the frame through the underside of the barrel thread portion where it's thin.

Unless you have the specialized barrel vises and FITTED frame wrenches, DON'T DO IT.

My worst horror story was a young man who wanted a Python more than anything in the world.

He was poor, so he spent a LONG hot summer bailing hay to raise the money.
Bailing hay is the dirtiest, hottest, and most dangerous job you can have in farm country.
Even when you do it right, you get pretty well cut, bruised, and scratched up.

He found a 4" Python, but wanted a 6".
He decided to get the replacement done "cheaper" by a local man who called himself a gunsmith, but who destroyed far more guns than he fixed.

This bozo used the hammer handle trick and bent the Python's frame.

I had to watch as this nice kid broke down and cried in the shop when I told him the reason his new Python was forever ruined and was worth only parts.
To make it worse, it was his own fault, because I'd told him the danger.

I did manage to lighten things for him.
A local policeman traded in a well used Python a few weeks later, so I replaced some of the more worn parts from the kids Python, CORRECTLY fitted the barrel, and had Colt re-blue it.

It never quite made it up to the kid, and when he got home from the army, he got a good job and bought at least 4 more Pythons.

The neighborhood shade-tree gunsmith?
No problem, he had no trouble handling the kid, since he'd had LOTS of practice handling complaints from tougher and older men.

He did get his some years later.
A VERY angry and vindictive local man called the ATF on him for selling guns and working as a "gunsmith" without an FFL.
He was a LOOOONG time getting past that one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Juiceman you sound really new to revolvers and should seek advice on how to clean and service your handgun. Somethings if not expertly done will damage or destroy your handgun.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good lord, all you need for cleaning is a rod, some patches and bronze brushes, a little Hoppe's #9, maybe at most a Lewis lead remover. Don't even think about taking off the barrel!

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys...

I'm not that new to handguns. I know how to clean them was just curious if anyone had taken their barrel off. I have it all cleaned up now looks good I'll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I said new to revolvers. Though you may not be new to them, a question like that will cause someone to think that. Only the Dan Wessons has a owner friendly barrel removal system.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Uh-oh ... I think I hear, "Army training," in the works here? Now, this is for SURE, strictly FWW, BUT, ... I've been also so-afflicted in my self-inflicted need to clean the pudding out of guns. I blame it on wanting a three day pass for cleaning my M-14! Years later, I was lucky enough to go shoot almost every day at West Point. The Instructor there NEVER cleaned the guns ... walls full of match-grade .45's, .22's and one S&W K-38. I asked about this several times and never got a real answer. Methinks may of us clean our guns as a substitute for dry-firing or range practice or just enjoying the sight and feel of guns ... "We feel guilty just playing with the things, so we have to DO something with them." The West Point Instructor did tell me NOT to clean my gun before a match and we always shot a few rounds before a match, just to, "warm up." I strongly suspect many of us just clean guns much more than we need to. It just gripes my soul for someone to look at one of my pistols and find crud in the barrel or dust or even fingerprints - but, that's me. My older son carries his Glock for work everyday and I don't think he's cleaned it more than once a year since he started carrying a gun. Heck, I even polish mine with SemiChrome ... but I polish my shoes, still, too ... Know anybody else that does THAT anymore!?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey, I still polish my shoes! Thanks to a long-ago hitch in the USMC. I think you are essentially right about cleaning our guns--we do it far more than necessary. I rarely clean 22's, including match pistols, and see no ill effects. I do clean cf revolvers more often (every 100 rounds or so)just because they start to get so much gunk on 'em, and because it's fun to clean them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The ones I shoot the most will be fairly clean. The queens, well they stay spotless.
I sort of chuckle at those who post on other forums of how they hate using so and so ammo because it gets their gun dirty. These folks need to try shooting smokepoles to put things in perspective for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts