Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the right section to post in but here goes. i just bought a like new Python and it is perfect including the wood grips but the original owner filled in the barrel words with gold paint. I obviously do not want to damage the finish or blue so what would be a totally safe way to remove the gold paint filled words?
Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
As above, Acetone or just lacquer thinner used with a solvent proof toothbrush.
These solvents will not harm bluing, nickel, or parkerizing, but may harm some of the paint-type gun coatings.

If your Python has a front sight insert, keep the solvent off it because inserts can be damaged.
Just use a little solvent to scrub the lettering clean, then use a paper towel to wipe the barrel down to remove any of the filler that's on the surface. Dry, then apply a coat of lube to prevent rust.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Why would you want to remove a fine hillbilly improvement like that? One day my buddy Dale came home and found his daddy had improved every gun in the house by spraying it with clear acrylic paint.:bang_wall: And stay away from paint stripper, that's methylene chloride and it's nasty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got one python with the gold lettering, and kind of like it. The two colors go together pretty well. But of course I understand why you would want to remove it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elliotf - Those grips and the gun IMO look so much better without the gloss.

The gold removal process worked great, thank you. Now the Python looks factory again. I did not think it looked real bad with the gold but I just wanted it to look like it did when it left the factory, especially because this Python looks brand new. In a way I would think that any one who filled in the letters with gold also thought the gun was beautiful, took pride in owning it and would also take good care of it which was the case here.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but Elliotf, the grips look great after removing the gloss, would you mind sharing your process? I have 2 Lawman 2" Nickels that will be coming up for auction and one has BEAUTIFUL satin grips and the other someone added a coat of gloss to and it makes me sick to look at them!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I could e-mail the pics to somebody who knows how to post I will show my two Pythons I just bought, this 6" blue and a 4" stainless.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Here how make picture.

Picture in post 101:
1) Create a folder on your desktop called “E-Mail Pics” or something similar. This is where you keep your 200K-300K sized pictures for uploading. If the picture is already small go to step 6.
2) Make another folder called “Hi Res Pics” or something. This is where you put the high resolution pictures from your camera. Now upload your high res camera pictures here.
3) Right click on a picture from “High Res” and drag it to “E-Mail Pics”, then select “copy here”.
4) Open “E-Mail Pics” and right click on a picture. Select “open with” then select “paint shop”.
5) Click on “resize” and reduce the number (100) in the percentage box by whatever amount necessary to make the size around 200k-300k. My camera is set at 3264x2448 and usually makes nice pics at 3 meg or so. Changing the percent to 25 is just right. Left click the drop down box in the upper left and select “save as”. Select the E-Mail Pics folder from the desktop in the big window, change the file name to whatever you want and click save. Or you can just click save and overwrite the picture copy in the e-mail pic folder if you‘re sure you got it right. Now you have a post able picture.
6) Go to your photo bucket account (if you don’t have one get one) and upload the 2-300k pic and click save. Click “ my gallerys”. Hover over the pic in your gallery and left click on “IMG code” at the bottom of the box that drops down , it will say “copied”.
7) Go to the post/reply screen and right click in the text plane, select “paste” and the picture link will be typed. Hit “enter” a couple of times and type in the text. You can also write text first, paste the IMG code and then write some more if you want the pic in the middle.
8) Some sites like “The Firing Line” have a test forum way at the bottom of the forum front page to practice in, they erase them after a few days.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but Elliotf, the grips look great after removing the gloss, would you mind sharing your process? I have 2 Lawman 2" Nickels that will be coming up for auction and one has BEAUTIFUL satin grips and the other someone added a coat of gloss to and it makes me sick to look at them!
Hi Keystonearms, I just saw this post or I would have replied sooner.

1. go to a dollar store and get some throw away tin baking pans with lids. 3 for a dollar.
2. I prefer Klean-Strip green safer paint and polish remover as it does not smell. I get this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot.
3. Put the grips in a pan and pour the Klean-Strip over them.
4. Let them sit for about 8 hours and use a old tooth brush or Ace hardware sells them for less then a buck each, and brush the paint remover off the grips.
5. If they look OK you are almost done, if not, put some more remover on and wait another 12 hours.
6. Wash/brush the remover off the the grips with cheap alcohol from walgreens.
7. Wash them again in water.
8. Let them dry for a day.
9. Put a couple of coats of Watco Danish Oil, I like natural color, on them and let them dry. Ace Hardware.

You are done. :)

Less than $25 for eveything you need for about 30 pairs of grips.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
103 Posts
the grips look great after removing the gloss, would you mind sharing your process? I have 2 Lawman 2" Nickels that will be coming up for auction and one has BEAUTIFUL satin grips and the other someone added a coat of gloss to and it makes me sick to look at them!
Put the grips in a closed jam-jar filled with acetone and leave for several days. It seems to take off most finishes, oil and dirt. Then treat with whatever wood oil you choose.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts