Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We have about 5 Colts that we're selling and I'd like to offer them here for the forum viewers but how do I go about selling them to you.

We do not have any sort of FFL or anything like that, we're just private collectors, so how would I go about shipping them etc?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My understanding is if it crosses a state line you are required to ship only to an FFL holder in the buyers state. Most of the people on the forum who wish to buy and are not FFL holders will have it shipped to a dealer in their area.
Any Detectives or Cobras?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DFrame, and no we aren't selling any of the DS's at this point (they are my favorite)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
As a non-FFL, you must also ship by common carrier; that is, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, but NOT USPS even to an individual in your state. :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
DHL will not handle firearms at all, even if you are an FFL shipping to an FFL.

[ QUOTE ]
As a non-FFL, you must also ship by common carrier; that is, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, but NOT USPS even to an individual in your state. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As a non-FFL, you must also ship by common carrier; that is, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, but NOT USPS even to an individual in your state. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A1A, I'm about to ship a gun via USPS. Please explain as I thought it was an acceptable method.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If your selling anything pre-1965, you should contact me first.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
As a non-FFL, you must also ship by common carrier; that is, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, but NOT USPS even to an individual in your state. :cool:
A1A, I'm about to ship a gun via USPS. Please explain as I thought it was an acceptable method.
From the ATF website FAQ : http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

They answer the question strangely, but the bottom line is that, for a non licensee, handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. The support for the answer is in the referenced documents. :cool:

Also, I thought someone told me they had shipped via DHL, but of course, the choice rests with the carrier as does the choice of service levels their policies require for handguns; that is, usually the fastest way (1 day air) to minimize their exposure.

Here is the relevant item from Title 18 of the U.S. Code via the NRA-ILA site http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#Sec. 5872
You really have to read it well. :cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the interest and all the information about shipping the firearms.

I'm sorry to have caused such a clatter, but at this point I think my husband is speaking with a local gentleman who has peaked some interest, and I'll find out what we have to do to ship legally.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
No clatter caused ;). For as many people who are selling guns, it is a often misunderstood topic even by dealers. I recently communicated with an online auction seller who insisted they would have to ship to an FFL even on an in state purchase, which is not true. Good luck with your transactions. :cool:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think your best bet is to find an FFL dealer that will ship it for you. There are usually FFL's around that do transfers and they will probably ship it for you using USPS. My FFL dealer charges $20 or $25 to ship a pistol for me.

Otherwise, these other carriers are going to cost you "an arm and a leg".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the advice, I think I'll check with our local gun shop for shipping purposes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Dealers and distributors can ship through the US Mail as I understand it, but only to other FFL dealers. <u>Individuals</u> can ship via FedEx and UPS (over night) to a receiving FFL dealer. FedEx told me that the firearm must be in a box (ie not a box labeled for the gun from the manufacturer) and shipped over night from one of their main shipping facilities vs Kinko's to a dealer. I don't know if a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL must be provided to FedEx prior to their accepting the firearm for shipment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fedex wants a copy of the FFL licence of the dealer or C & R your sending the handgun or rifle to in a pouch on the outside of the box.You have to send it priority overnight and the package has to be dropped off at a Fedex manned facility. This means that you can not use fedex to ship directly to non FFL holders in your state since they do not have a license you can put in the pouch.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
On and on. What FEDEX and UPS and DHL will or won't do and require in order to do it has little to do with the law except that they are the only legal game in town for an individual. It has to do with their policies they have put in place to minimize their exposure, mostly to theft by their own emplyees. Unfortunately, you can't make them do something they won't even if it is legal. What FFL in his right mind wants a copy of his license floating around on the outside of a FEDEX box? :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
A1A what you say is true, but there is no way to do in state gun sales without a FFL if you want to insure the firearm, because if it is lost your out of luck. So if you want to protect yourself you have to require FFL transfer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts