Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Viper from 1977 that has been fired a few times but is essentially like new. I'd like suggestions on how I can get the most possible for it. It's been sitting in my drawer for a long time and it might be time to sell it.

As I look online for prices, they appear to be in the $3000 - $6000 range. While that sounds incredible, it doesn't seem to be out of line. I suppose it is rare and there must be folks that hope to complete that snake gun collection.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Pics would be helpful. Do you have the box? Furthermore, you may get better results as you posted this in the Python section instead of the revolver section.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would suggest a colt factory letter first off.......since there are a lot of faked vipers and any serious buyer will want proof of authenticity......a fake box from ebay will add nothing to the price and may detract as many will assume its a fake viper due to the fraudulent box (the box you linked is totally fake) (any box other than the original box and label that came with the gun adds nothing to the sale price)

to further explain ...vipers were a unpopular gun and thus very few were produced but the factory had a large excess of viper barrels that were sold to the public (i own a barrel myself) its common to see "vipers" being sold that are just viper barrels on other gun frames and thus are fake

·
Registered
468 Posts
since you have the letter.........my next step would be to decide if i wanted to sell it myself or consign it to a high quality seller... (the top knotch colt guys will get top dollar for it but it will cost you 10-15% commission and they will handle all the pictures, gun broker fees, transfers, etc and it wil get sold relatively quickly) ........if you decide to sell it yourself the first step in my opinion is taking VERY good pictures since gun condition is everything in gun pricing....then finding a buyer is the challenge

personally if its a very high condition gun that will bring top dollar i would send it to one of the top colt consigners 12% is worth it since they will normally get at least 10% more than a private individual unknown to the industry would get (just my opinion)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like good advice. I'm in St. Louis, Missouri. Can anyone suggest any high end sellers that I might try?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
colt viper authen redacted.jpg View attachment 598723 This shows the Colt Archive authentication letter. It also gives me a chance to practice posting pics. I'll work on gun pics tomorrow. I could also use the name of any group or person that might be helpful in selling this gun.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
For forum members, Tom (Lumberjack), Marc (Keystone) or John (Fugate) are good ones that are experienced in selling high end Colts and consignments.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Where in St. Louis do you live?
I live in Kirkwood. Maybe we can meet up and I can look at it. You can compare yours with mine to see if there are any differences. But my guns are off site in a town about 15 minutes west of six flags.

Is your Viper blue or nickel? Nickel is more valuable.
To a collector, the original package on these seem to add significant value, not just a few hundred bucks.
All of the Vipers ive seen had the serial number written on the box, but I don't know if that is the case for all. I don't think a new box will increase value. But a letter will to a collector.

The blue one unfired outside of factory with package seems to sell in the $4,000 range.
The Nickel in same condition seems to sell in the $6,000 range.
Yours, in the condition you described without the package should be worth 50%-75%.
However, this is only my opinion and others with much more knowledge might disagree. And please let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Marc will probably get you the most. If you decide to sell yourself list it on gunbroker and do a Sunday auction as start it in the evening. On something like that I would do 14 days if that option is still available that will bring in more buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I believe my first choice would be to have it sold through a local dealer, though I realize this gives me a much smaller audience. Do you know anyone in St. Louis that might be interested?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I might be interested. Pm me. We can meet. I live in Kirkwood and work in Valley Park.

St. Charles gun show is coming up. You can walk around and try to sell it there. There is at least one colt collector there but he would most interested in flipping it.
I think Pacific gun show is coming soon too.
Cabellas might buy it but I doubt they will give you much.
There are a few local gun stores that would buy it but again, they won't pay much.
I know of 3 dealers that will consign it. They are in St. Charles, Des Peres, and Eureka.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.