Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum here. I was blessed to have inherited a beautiful Colt SAA. I was really blown away by the knowledge and support of the guys here on the forum that were able to help me with the questions I had about my gun. Ever since then I have invested in books to learn about more about the revolver I had and the amazing Colt brand. I have the Colt Fever! From what I can tell a lot of the guys here are truly experts and have decades of expertise/experience on this brand and their different guns. I'm on my way and learning everyday. I thought it would be cool to see how some of you got into the Colt brand!

** I'm new here, if this thread has already been made I apologize!

·
Registered
353 Posts
My grandpa had a 1917 hanging by the trigger guard in his woodshop, and I would stare it while the "grownups" talked and hung out in the shop. The first centerfire handgun I fired was my great-uncle's 1911 in .38 Auto. He said I could shoot it if I brought my own ammo, and believe it or not a local Ace hardware had Remington .38 Auto in stock. I was hooked.

·
Registered
771 Posts
As a young man I was always gainfully employed, when I could get a ride to the local gun store (28 miles) I would stand at the counter and see what was being traded in. One day a gentleman traded a Colt S.A.A. in for $110.00, when the deal was done I asked the owner what he would take for the Colt "cash money" he stated $125.00. I paid him, shook his hand and walked out with my first Colt. I was 14. Take care, Duane

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Some high school friends introduced me to hunting and shooting,but I don’t think I’d even seen a colt until I walked into a gun shop 20 yrs later and bought a government model.I blame Skeeter Skelton and some other writers of that era for giving me expensive ideas!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a young man I was always gainfully employed, when I could get a ride to the local gun store (28 miles) I would stand at the counter and see what was being traded in. One day a gentleman traded a Colt S.A.A. in for $110.00, when the deal was done I asked the owner what he would take for the Colt "cash money" he stated $125.00. I paid him, shook his hand and walked out with my first Colt. I was 14. Take care, Duane
Man! Incredible! My gf says that a really cool story!

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
Cowboy movies. At a young age, before there was television, there were movies - cowboy movies on Saturday afternoons. Every boy wanted a "Cowboy Gun" like we saw in the movies. There were war movies too. War movies introduced us to the Model 1911/1911A1.

I began wanting each the first time I saw them. I got my first Model O while in high school, but never got a "Cowboy Gun" until I was in a PX at Fort Lee in the late 1960s and there was a 4.75-inch .45 Colt Single Action Army in the gun case, to me THE most desirable version of the Model P. I had TDY money burning a hole in my pocket and bought the gun on the spot. I have never fired it to this day. I had to buy other Models P later to finally know what it was like to shoot a "Cowboy Gun."

I liked it when I finally shot one! Even though I was FAR from boyhood by then, I think the thrill was the same. For those first few shots, I was the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, etc. back in those Saturday afternoon movies. I still get a bit of that feeling every time I shoot a Model P.

As a boy, I soon was pouring over gun catalogs I had sent for, making lists of the ones I wanted in various configurations, etc. The Sears and Wards catalogs also had guns in them in those days. I had to get through college and the Army before I could finally begin buying Colts (and many, many others - I like them all!) in earnest.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Without ever dreaming that I would one day need to swear off Colt forever, I was introduced to the 40 oz. Colt45 malt liquor at about 13 years old.

29 years later when I had to quit drinking, I found that I had disposable income! I bought a well used first variation model N. And then a new addiction began.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
1901 Colt DA .38, US-marked flap holster w/leg tie, US-marked cartridge box, web belt and US interlocking belt plate, lanyard - all for $10 at a high school gym gun show - I had just turned 14...

The accouterments were thrown in - at that time, no one wanted them.

Still have it all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I grew up in the 1950s and early 1960s in rural Northeast Arizona and Northwest New Mexico. Men often open carried a Colt or S&W on their hip. I watched the western movies and television shows. I drooled on Colts, but couldn't afford one.

I bought my first gun from the Sears Christmas catalog when I was sixteen. It was a select-grade Lee-Enfield in British .303 rifle. The gun, boxes of ammo, and a cleaning kit with shipping was around $39. I bought my first handgun from my brother-in-law when I was nineteen. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

I was introduced to a Colt M-16 when I was in the Navy by a Marine instructor at Camp Pendleton when I attended Marine Advanced Infantry training. I carried a Colt M-16 as an advisor on Swift Boats in 1970/1971.

I bought my first Colt around 2007. It is an LE-6920 AR-15. I now own twenty-one Colt handguns and the LE-6920.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Blame it on dad, he had two Colts, a 1903 .32ACP and a 1908 Vest Pocket .25ACP. Grand-dad on mom's side had a Colt's New Service in .45 Colt he bought new as a young man of 21/22. He trapped bear in Tioga and Potter County, PA from 1899-1920, it was his life insurance. Probably chose the .45 Colt on the advice of his older brother who served in the Spanish-American War. When I was a kid, Colt was all we knew when it came to handguns.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Watching westerns as a kid, that’s all the actors used. Dad’s only handgun in those days was a Colt Government Model .45. As a youngster, I began experimenting with cap and ball Colt replicas. Dad shortly bought me a Colt New Frontier .22, which seemed lightning fast to load after the percussion sixguns. Colts have been part of my whole life it seems.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
When I was 5, my Dad got my brother and I WWII surplus wear gear and toy 1911s and Thompsons. I called the pistol my Colt .45 and that Christmas asked for a real Colt .45. When I went on active duty in the Army and received my first TDY pay, I immediately went to the Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club and bought a Government Model.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Close friend of mine had a cousin who does CCW classes and offered me to join for cheaper than the usual rate. It was something I had already wanted, and now being able to do a personal class with close friends, I jumped on the opportunity.

After getting my CCW, I figured it made the most sense to have a gun. So, I began searching around what I might like, and felt myself leaning toward a revolver. Had a few different inclinations, but what I eventually landed on was a Colt Detective Special. When I came across a picture of one, I fell in love. I'm a young fella but I adore the era of the 20's up til the 50's, and the Detective Special just screamed classic, cool 1950's revolver.

Ended up finding a 1968 at a local shop and picked it up. Honestly probably overpaid; has a bit of bluing wear and drill holes for a hammer shroud I somehow never noticed before, but I love it. It's what led me to buy other Detectives. Part of me wants to sell it and just carry my '36 Detective, but I also know once I do that, I'd be giving away a memory that I can't get back, so it's in my arsenal for now til I have kids to give it to.

Either way, that's what got me started. Been a solid fan of Colt ever since. There's just such a rich history behind it all. I might not be able to afford collections like some of those I've seen around here, but I've been enjoying myself. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts