Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this Huntsman from Lowell Pauli a few years ago. He did not have a factory letter on it and didn't know much about it. I just finally got around to ordering a letter. The letter arrived today and I am very happy to learn that it was Master Engraved by Howard Dove. The ivories were apparently added by Lowell. The remarks in the last paragraph are interesting too.

dove_huntsman_letter.jpg

engrR1.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,535 Posts
That gun is a real prize. The letter indicates it was a 'standard' engraving, but done by a Master engraver. I have a SAA that letters the same way. I spoke to Paul S. at Colt Archives about that wording and he told me that when such an order was received in the Custom Shop, the "Standard" engraving could be assigned to any of the engravers (Master or not). It was fortunate that a great Master engraver, Howard Dove in this case, got the job. To me that means it was "Master Engraved" even though Colt only considers it as "Standard Engraving."

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
That gun is a real prize. The letter indicates it was a 'standard' engraving, but done by a Master engraver. I have a SAA that letters the same way. I spoke to Paul S. at Colt Archives about that wording and he told me that when such an order was received in the Custom Shop, the "Standard" engraving could be assigned to any of the engravers (Master or not). It was fortunate that a great Master engraver, Howard Dove in this case, got the job. To me that means it was "Master Engraved" even though Colt only considers it as "Standard Engraving."
Also, to piggyback onto saintclair's comment - only Colt masters were / are able to do gold inlay work - so, any gun with gold inlays (even if the scroll engraving was of the 'standard' variety), will mention the respective master who did it.

Bob - out of curiosity, is the Huntsman signed by Howard Dove?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts