Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, first time posting but have been lurking daily since October. I am new to the Colt SAA scene but have been shooting/hunting since the late ‘70’s. My brother and I started Cowboy Action Shooting in May with @bighipiron, and we have been hooked ever since. I picked up a pair of 1st Gen Colts for the matches, and while the first one arrived in October, the second just arrived yesterday. Both are .45s, both were shipped out in 1904, and both are blued (faded to a beautiful gray patina) with black gutta percha grips and 5 and 1/2” barrels. The first one had a timing issue, so on recommendation from @bighipiron and you guys on the forums, I sent it off to Jim Martin, and he worked his magic on it. It shoots better than a brand new gun. I took it to it’s first match a few weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly. The second one looks pretty solid as well, and the timing is spot on with nice cylinder lockup, although it does have a TINY bit of play in the cylinder, and I do mean tiny. It came with replacement wooden grips, so I replaced them with replacement black grips for now until I can find a set of original first gens. I also got the Colt letters for both, and they have ship dates within 10 days of each other and serial numbers within 1100 of each other....one to Simmons Hardware Company on St. Louis and one to Sears Roebuck in Chicago in 1904. I am at work at the moment, but when I get a chance, I will post pictures of them as well as the archive letters. I have learned quite a bit already in the 2 months reading the forums, and I am extremely excited to have these beautiful colts and look forward to learning more here on the forums. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Wow. We gotta see those guns. And you already have Jim Martin, our little national secret here on this forum, doing his magic on them. I'm in Sacramento. Welcome aboard. Matt (alias WB) in Sacramento

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. We gotta see those guns. And you already have Jim Martin, our little national secret here on this forum, doing his magic on them. I'm in Sacramento. Welcome aboard. Matt (alias WB) in Sacramento
Hi Matt, I am in San Rafael and have been doing cowboy action shooting at the Richmond Rod and Gun Club and also up in Davis at the Yolo Sportsman Association with the River City Regulators. My SASS alias is Cardoso Kid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’ve been having problems downloading pictures to the forums. I have an iPad, and when I try to upload from my photos, I get a message saying something about invalid jpeg files. Any tech savvy people that have a suggestion?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Amazing that you got two guns with same barrel length and caliber so close together like that. Did you hunt down those earlier grips or did they come on them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The early colt grips on the bottom Colt came with the gun and seem to have been on that gun for quite some time based on its wear pattern. The new grips are reproduction grips, and I got the (incorrect) eagle grips just to match the other ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts