Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need the help of the experts again. I have just finised a gun room in my basement. Cinder block walls,steel door ect. It is about 10x10 in size. What can I do to keep the humidity down so my babies don't get any rust. I live in the Midwest so we suffer all 4 seasons. I was thinking a dehumidifier but are thery ary other suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
With out having a "professional" come in and measure your humidity, the things I watch for are any surface rust or oxidation forming on any of my tools or equipment.
Yes, sometimes just an incandescent light bulb takes care of "drying things out". If any doubt, if you have a 'de-humidier' put in in the room and turn it on, if there is "moisture" , it will remove and you'll know right away.
I keep ALL my guns and stuff coated with 'RIG' and I have stuff from the early 1900's and nothing has 'rusted' yet.
The trick is "cool AND dry"........ /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

I have never heard of RIG. Is it a spray like WD40 or CRC? Where can I purchase it? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pretty big basement divided into two sections. I run two dehumidifiers and keep things around 52-54%. I use digital humidy gauges from Wal-Mart that were less than $10 each. During the warm months I get 2-3 gallons of water every day. Once things cool off this fall and the heater starts running, I won't need to run the dehumidifiers. I also run 2 small (personal) size fans 24-7 just to keep the air moving.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
RIG has been my firearms' friend for many years and I have no rust problems. I'm convinced that over time it "softens" the patina on the really oldies that are finish challenged, improving their looks. It offers a measure of protection in the event that one forgets to wipe a firearm down after it's been handled. It is inexpensive and a little goes a long way.

http://www.silencio.com/htfiles/chemicals.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
I live in the humid midwest, have owned many guns for decades,use nothing but silicone on my guns and have never had rust. Having said that, I think you have a special problem with a basement, and I would definitely use a dehumdifier. RIG is good stuff; too messy and unnecessary for my uses, but maybe for you--given the basement location--it's not a bad idea.

Bill

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with Bill. I leave my SAA's "out in the open," and have found by wiping them regularly with a silicone cloth, I've had no problems. It leaves them somewhat filmy to the touch, but that's better than rust. I clean the cylinders barrels with oil once a month. Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts